1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Euler's number e, proving convergence and bounds

1. Oct 22, 2005 #1
    The transcendental number e – Euler’s number
    (the underscores(_) represent subscript and (^) represent superscript/exponet)
    The limiting value of sequence {e_n} where e_n = (1+1/n)^n is the irrational number e. My text gives a challenge to see if you can prove that this converges by verifying the following: (1+1/n) ^n < e < (1+1/n) ^(n+1) and that 2 ≤ e < 3 for all n Є N. There has been a consensus in the class that there is a typo in the text and that it should read: (1+1/n) ^n < e_(n+1) < (1+1/n)^( n+1) 2 ≤ e_m < 3. I’m not sure if I know enough to question this but I will accept it and proceed with the hints on how to do this.

The first hint is to
    Use the binominal theorem to write out n+1 terms of e_n using the fact that n(n-1)(n-2)/n^3 can be expressed as (1-1/n)(1-2/n). then do the same for n+2 in terms of e_(n+1) such that you can come to the conclusion that e_n < e_(n+1) right off the bat in this multi step problem I’m stumped am I using the binominal expansion correctly?. So far I’ve come up with:

e_n = 1 + 1 + (1/2)(n)(n-1)(1/n^2) + (1/3)(n)(n-1)(n-2)(1/n^3) + …. + (1/n)^n
    e_n = 2 + (1/2)(n)(n-1)(1/n^2) + (1/3)(1-(1/n))(1-(2/n)) + …. + (1/n)^n

then for n+1 in terms of e_n

= 2 + (1/2)(n+1)(n)(1/(n+1)^2) + (1/3)(1-(1/(n+1))(1-2/(n+1)) + …. + (1/(n+1))^(n+1)

Then for n+2 in terms of e_(n+1) here I substituted n+2 for n in the equation above, is this correct according to the given hints?

= 2 + (1/2)(n+3)(n+2)(1/(n+3)^2) + (1/3)(1-(1/(n+3))(1-2/(n+3)) + …. + (1/(n+3))^(n+3)

I wanted to get some help on these preliminary steps before I move onto the second half of the challenge. If I am correct so far how does this come to the conclusion that e_n < e_(n+1)?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2005 #2

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Oh, it's very hard to read... You can learn how to LaTeX at the General Physics board.
    Nope that's not quite correct, you cannot substitute n + 1 or n + 2 for n, note that en has n + 1 terms while en + 1 has n + 2 terms, and en + 2 has n + 3 terms. You should again use binomial theorwm to write out the terms for en + 1, and en + 2

You seem to forget the factorial sign in while expanding the terms out :wink:...
    It should read something like:
    [tex](a + b) ^ n = a ^ n + na ^ {n - 1}b + \frac{n(n - 1)}{2}a ^ {n - 2}b ^ 2 + \frac{n(n - 1)(n - 2)}{3!}a ^ {n - 3}b ^ 3 + ... + b ^ n[/tex]

It seem that you forget to rewrite your third terms for en. It can be written as:
    [tex]\frac{1}{2} \times \frac{n(n - 1)}{n ^ 2} = \frac{1}{2} \times \frac{n}{n} \times \frac{n - 1}{n} = \frac{1}{2} \times \left( 1 - \frac{1}{n} \right)[/tex]

Then you can continue your proof by noting that:
    [tex]\frac{m}{n} > \frac{m}{n + 1}, \forall n \geq 1, m > 0[/tex]
    Hence
    [tex]1 - \frac{m}{n} < 1 - \frac{m}{n + 1}, \forall n \geq 1, m > 0[/tex]

Can you go from here?
    Viet Dao,

Last edited: Oct 22, 2005
  4. Oct 23, 2005 #3
    Thanks for the latex info, i was wondering how to enact the various notations.
    Before I continue with the proof I want to verify that I'm using the binominal theorem correctly as well as latex.

[tex]e_{n+1}=2+\frac{n-1}{2n}+\frac{1}{3!}(1-\frac{1}{n})(1-\frac{2}{n})+....+(\frac{1}{n})^n+(\frac{1}{n+1})^{n+1}[/tex]

[tex]e_{n+2}=2+\frac{n-1}{2n}+\frac{1}{3!}(1-\frac{1}{n})(1-\frac{2}{n})+....+(\frac{1}{n})^n+(\frac{1}{n+1})^{n+1}+(\frac{1}{n+2}^{n+2})[/tex]

I feel like i'm missing something, but anyway if I'm correct on the above expansion it seems that it would follow that [tex]e_{n}<e_{n+1}[/tex] since there is an additional expansion term that is >0 for all [tex]n\in{N}[/tex]

I do follow your the latter part of how to do the proof, however my text also throws in that i should use this additional inequality [tex]n^{n}\geq{n!}\geq{2}^{n-1}[/tex] to prove that [tex]e_{n}<3[/tex]. if I get that, from here i can use the squeez theroem to prove that e is bounded between 2 and 3. I guess I should accept the given inequality to be true, but i thought that factorials grow larger faster than exponets. Thanks again for the help:smile:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  5. Oct 23, 2005 #4

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Yes, you do miss something. I think you should check the expansion for en + 1, and en + 2 again:
    [tex]e_{n + 1} = 1 + \frac{n + 1}{n + 1} + \frac{1}{2} \times \frac{(n + 1)n}{(n + 1) ^ 2} + \frac{1}{3!} \times \frac{(n + 1)n(n - 1)}{(n + 1) ^ 3} + ... + \frac{1}{(n + 1)!} \times \frac{(n + 1)n(n - 1) ... 1}{(n + 1) ^ {n + 1}}[/tex]
    [tex]= 2 + \frac{1}{2} \times \frac{n}{(n + 1)} + \frac{1}{3!} \times \frac{n(n - 1)}{(n + 1) ^ 2} + ... + \frac{1}{(n + 1)!} \times \frac{n(n - 1) ... 1}{(n + 1) ^ {n}}[/tex]

[tex]= 2 + \frac{1}{2} \times \left( \frac{n + 1 - 1}{(n + 1)} \right) + \frac{1}{3!} \left( \frac{(n + 1 - 1)(n + 1 - 2)}{(n + 1) ^ 2} \right)[/tex]
    [tex]+ ... + \frac{1}{(n + 1)!} \times \frac{(n + 1 - 1)(n + 1 - 2)(n - + 1 - 3)...(n + 1 - n)}{(n + 1) ^ {n}}[/tex]

[tex]= 2 + \frac{1}{2} \times \left( 1 - \frac{1}{(n + 1)} \right) + \frac{1}{3!} \left( 1 - \frac{1}{(n + 1)} \right) \times \left( 1 - \frac{2}{(n + 1)} \right) + ... +[/tex]
    [tex]+ \frac{1}{(n + 1)!} \left( 1 - \frac{1}{n + 1} \right) \left( 1 - \frac{2}{n + 1} \right) \left( 1 - \frac{3}{n + 1} \right)...\left( 1 - \frac{n}{n + 1} \right)[/tex]
    Now, you can use the last part of my previous post to prove that en < en + 1

Of course, it's obvious that en > 2.
    You can also prove the inequality n! >= 2n - 1:
    n! = 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . ... . n = 2 . 3 . 4 . ... . n >= 2 . 2 . 2 . 2 . ... . 2 = 2n - 1 Q.E.D
    To continue your proof, you should note that:
    [tex]1 - \frac{1}{m} < 1 , \forall m > 0[/tex]
    and [tex]\frac{1}{n!} \leq \frac{1}{2 ^ {n - 1}} , \forall n > 0[/tex]
    Can you go from here?
    Viet Dao,

Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  6. Oct 24, 2005 #5
    wow... I think I need further instruction on the binominal expansion. I'm a bit confused (not in the algebra afterwards, but how the part with the 3! term:
    [tex]\frac{1}{3!} \times \frac{(n + 1)n(n - 1)}{(n + 1) ^ 3}[/tex]

this is probably due to my misunderstanding of this theorem but why is there (n+1)! in the last term
    [tex]\frac{1}{(n + 1)!} \times \frac{(n + 1)n(n - 1) ... 1}{(n + 1) ^ {n + 1}}[/tex]

when in the [tex]e_{n}[/tex] last term there isn't the factorial?

7. Oct 24, 2005 #6

VietDao29

Homework Helper

You should re-read your book on binomial expansion. Or you can also read it here (pay attention to the I part).
    It says:
    [tex](x + y) ^ n = \sum_{k = 0} ^ n \left( \begin{array}{l} n & k \end{array} \right) x ^ k y ^ {n - k}[/tex]
    Where:
    [tex]\left( \begin{array}{l} n & k \end{array} \right) = \frac{n!}{k!(n - k)!} = \frac{1}{k!} \times (n - k + 1)(n - k + 2) ... n[/tex]
    So let x = 1 / n, and y = 1.
    The forth term of the expansion for en + 1 will be:
    [tex]\left( \begin{array}{c} n + 1 & 3 \end{array} \right) \frac{1}{(n + 1) ^ 3} \times 1 ^ {n + 1 - 3} = \frac{(n + 1)!}{3!(n - 2)!} \times \frac{1}{(n + 1) ^ 3} \times 1 ^ {n - 2}[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{1}{3!} (n - 1)n(n + 1) \times \frac{1}{(n + 1) ^ 3} \times 1 ^ {n + 1 - 3} = \frac{1}{3!} \times \frac{(n + 1)n(n - 1)}{(n + 1) ^ 3}[/tex].
    So do you get it now?
    For the last term, you may write it as:
    [tex]\frac{1}{(n + 1) ^ {n + 1}}[/tex]
    But writing it as:
    [tex]\frac{1}{(n + 1)!} \times \frac{(n + 1)n(n - 1) ... 1}{(n + 1) ^ {n + 1}}[/tex] makes it easier for you to prove en + 1 > en
    They are the same:
    [tex]\frac{1}{(n + 1)!} \times \frac{(n + 1)n(n - 1) ... 1}{(n + 1) ^ {n + 1}} = \frac{1}{(n + 1)!} \times \frac{(n + 1)!}{(n + 1) ^ {n + 1}} = \frac{1}{(n + 1) ^ {n + 1}}[/tex].
    Viet Dao,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?