Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Euler's Number

1. Jul 4, 2014 #1
    I am familiar with the fact that the number e can be defined several ways. One particularly interesting definition is the one based on limits, namely:
    e = limn [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] ∞ (1 + [itex]\frac{1}{n}[/itex])n
    My question is: wouldn't it be equally true to express e as the limit of the expression above as n goes to NEGATIVE infinity?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2014 #2
    According to WolframAlpha, that is quite correct. The proof below is for positive infinity (WA won't show the step-by-step solution for the negative version unless I buy a pro subscription), but the steps are equally valid for negative infinity in this case.

limits-01.png

(Open the image in a new tab if you see it with a black background.)

4. Jul 5, 2014 #3

statdad

Homework Helper

"My question is: wouldn't it be equally true to express e as the limit of the expression above as n goes to NEGATIVE infinity?"

Yes it is. The verification is an exercise in algebra and exponent chasing.

If [itex] m [/itex] is a negative integer then [itex] m = -n [/itex] for a positive integer [itex] n [/itex]. For [itex] n > 1 [/itex] this gives

[tex] \begin{align*} \left(1 + \frac 1 m\right)^m & = \left(1 - \frac 1 n \right)^{-n} = \left(\frac{n - 1}n\right)^{-n} \\
    & = \left(\frac n {n-1}\right)^n = \left(\frac n {n-1}\right) \cdot \left(\frac n {n-1}\right)^{n-1} \\
    & = \left(\frac n {n-1} \right) \cdot \left(\frac{n-1}{n-1} + \frac 1 {n-1}\right)^{n-1} \\
    & = \left(\frac n {n-1} \right) \cdot \left( 1 + \frac 1 {n-1}\right)^{n-1} = A_n \cdot B_n \text{ (say)}
    \end{align*}
    [/tex]

Note that [itex] \lim_{m \to -\infty} \left(1 + \frac 1 m\right)^m [/itex] equals [itex] \lim_{n \to \infty} \left(1 - \frac 1 n \right)^{-n}[/itex]

Since
    [tex]
    \begin{align*}
    \lim_{n \to \infty} \left( \frac n {n-1}\right) & = 1 \\
    \text{and}\\
    \lim_{n \to \infty} \left(1 + \frac 1 {n-1}\right)^{n-1} & = \lim_{n \to \infty} \left(1 + \frac 1 n%
    \right)^n = e
    \end{align*}
    [/tex]

putting everything together gives

[tex]
    \lim_{m \to -\infty} \left(1 + \frac 1 m\right)^m = \lim_{n \to \infty} \left(1 - \frac 1 n\right)^{-n} = e
    [/tex]

5. Jul 5, 2014 #4
    But why should we consider the constraint n>1? Isn't it enough to say n>0?

6. Jul 5, 2014 #5

statdad

Homework Helper

"But why should we consider the constraint n>1? Isn't it enough to say n>0?"

For the limit it doesn't matter. But for the steps in my approach to work I need [itex] n > 1 [/itex] because
    of the introduction of the denominators of [itex] n - 1 [/itex] .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook