Euler's Relationship: Solving Vt=V0ejwt

• Thread starter geo_alchemist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relationship
In summary, According to Euler's relationship, the complex exponential function can be used to represent AC voltage or current. In the equation Vt=V0coswt, the coswt term can be rewritten as Vt=V0ejwt. The imaginary component, jsinα, is not shown in this representation. The reason for this is because the real part, cosα, is often more convenient to work with and the imaginary part may tell us something else interesting. The wikipedia states that we only need to analyze one right-hand term and then take the real part at the end of the calculation to return to a real-valued sinusoid. The curly brackets, or the "R" in R(e^{j\omega t}),
geo_alchemist
May be it's a stupid question but I can't figure it out.

according to Eulers Relationship:
ej[tex]\alpha[/tex]=cos[tex]\alpha[/tex]+jsin[tex]\alpha[/tex]

on the other hand I have equation:
Vt=V0cos wt
and it can be rewritten as:
Vt=V0ejwt

where V is voltage in AC (see link below)
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/electric/impcom.html"

In this case cos wt is at the place of cos[tex]\alpha[/tex], but what I can't understand is, where did jsin [tex]\alpha[/tex] go?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I quote, with added emphasis:

The link you provided said:
The real part of a complex exponential function can be used to represent an AC voltage or current.

that is what I am asking about. and what happens with the imaginary part? And if we can simply neglect it, then why?

Two miniature ideas to pay attention to:

1. Re(eix) is often more convenient than cos(x)
  2. Im(eix) may tell you something else that's interesting

After searching through the web, only thing I could conclude and understand is that after several transformation from ejx=cosx+jsinx I come to:
cosx=(eix+e-ix)/2
but, what I can't understand is the equation:
(eix+e-ix)/2=R{eix}
well, the wikipedia says that:
Given the symmetry, we only need to perform the analysis for one right-hand term; the results will be identical for the other. At the end of any calculation, we may return to real-valued sinusoids by further noting that
coswt=R{ejwt}
In other words, we simply take the real part of the result.
see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_impedance" Validity of comples representation.

May be it is simple math, but I can't understand if there is any special meaning of curly brackets.

Last edited by a moderator:
If z= x+ iy then the real part of z is Rz= x.

It's exactly the same thing as if I say "the x-coordinate of the point (2, 3) is 2".

That's all it is- it's not the { } that is important but the "R".

If [itex]e^{j\omega t}= cos(\omega t)+ j sin(\omega t)[/itex] then the "real part" is [itex]cos(\omega t)[/itex] and the "imaginary part' is [itex]sin(\omega t)[/itex] (notice that both "real part" and "imaginary part" of a complex number are real numbers).

[itex]R(e^{j\omega t}) cos(\omega t)[/itex] and [itex]I(e^{j\omega t}) sin(\omega t)[/itex].

1. What is Euler's Relationship?

Euler's Relationship is a mathematical formula that relates exponential functions to trigonometric functions. It is represented as V(t) = V0e^(jwt), where V(t) is the value at time t, V0 is the initial value, j is the imaginary unit, w is the angular frequency, and t is time.

2. How is Euler's Relationship used to solve Vt=V0ejwt?

Euler's Relationship can be used to solve Vt=V0ejwt by converting the exponential function into a trigonometric function using the identities e^(jwt) = cos(wt) + jsin(wt). This allows for easier manipulation and solving of the equation.

3. What is the significance of Euler's Relationship?

Euler's Relationship is significant because it provides a connection between two important mathematical functions, exponential and trigonometric. It has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

4. Are there any limitations to using Euler's Relationship?

One limitation of using Euler's Relationship is that it only applies to linear systems. Non-linear systems may require different methods for solving. Additionally, it is important to consider the range of values for which the relationship is valid.

5. Can Euler's Relationship be applied to other types of functions?

Yes, Euler's Relationship can be extended to other types of functions, such as hyperbolic functions, using similar techniques. It can also be generalized to higher dimensions, known as the multi-dimensional Euler's Relationship.