.What is the remainder when dividing 38^213 by 13?

• Thread starter talolard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, Euler's Theorem, also known as Euler's formula, is a mathematical theorem discovered by Leonhard Euler in the 18th century. It relates the trigonometric functions of a complex number and has significant applications in various fields, such as electrical engineering, signal processing, and physics. It is closely related to Euler's Identity, a special case of Euler's Theorem, which is often considered more elegant and significant.
talolard

Homework Statement

Find the remainder when dividing [tex] 38^{213} [/tex] by 13.

Homework Equations

Fermats little theorem: [tex] a^{p-1}\equiv 1 Mod(p) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried proving this with fermats little theorem or using the more general Euler theorem but I am overlooking some manipulation. To my dismay 12 does not divide 213 and I am not seeing how to put the question in the right form. ANy help is greatly apreciarted.
Tal

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Solved. Please erase

What is Eulers Theorem?

Euler's Theorem, also known as Euler's formula, is a mathematical theorem that relates the trigonometric functions of a complex number. It states that for any complex number z, e^(iz) = cos(z) + i*sin(z), where e is Euler's number and i is the imaginary unit.

Who discovered Eulers Theorem?

Euler's Theorem was discovered by the famous Swiss mathematician, Leonhard Euler, in the 18th century. He is also known for his contributions in various fields of mathematics, including calculus, number theory, and graph theory.

What is the significance of Eulers Theorem?

Euler's Theorem is significant because it provides a link between two fundamental mathematical concepts - complex numbers and trigonometry. It is also used in various applications, such as in electrical engineering, signal processing, and physics.

What are the applications of Eulers Theorem?

Euler's Theorem has various applications in mathematics and other fields. It is used in solving problems involving complex numbers, calculating Fourier series, and understanding the behavior of alternating currents in electrical circuits. It also has applications in quantum mechanics and signal processing.

What is the difference between Eulers Theorem and Eulers Identity?

Euler's Theorem and Euler's Identity are closely related but not the same. Euler's Identity is a special case of Euler's Theorem, where z is equal to π. This results in e^(iπ) = cos(π) + i*sin(π) = -1 + 0i = -1. Euler's Identity is often considered more elegant and significant, as it links five fundamental mathematical constants - 0, 1, e, π, and i - in one equation.