Calculating Euler's Totient Function for Large Numbers: Is There a Better Way?

• Thread starter Dinheiro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary: So one factor should be a number that satisfies ##\phi(m)=2##, plenty of those. Then you want another relatively prime m such that ##\phi(m)=27##. So you can break it down somewhat. Thanks!
Dinheiro

Homework Statement

How would you calculate, without computers,
[itex] \phi(m) = 12? [/itex]
Would you just try enough m integers one by one until it works?
What if m were bigger like
[itex] \phi(m) = 52? [/itex]
Is there a softer way to solve without guessing the number?

Homework Equations

Number's theory equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] \phi(m) = m(1-1/p1)(1-1/p2)... [/itex]
where p|m

Physics news on Phys.org
Dinheiro said:

Homework Statement

How would you calculate, without computers,
[itex] \phi(m) = 12? [/itex]
Would you just try enough m integers one by one until it works?
What if m were bigger like
[itex] \phi(m) = 52? [/itex]
Is there a softer way to solve without guessing the number?

Homework Equations

Number's theory equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] \phi(m) = m(1-1/p1)(1-1/p2)... [/itex]
where p|m

Find the prime factorization. For numbers like these that's easy. Then use the formula you quoted in your attempt at a solution.

So, without computers, no softer way?

Dinheiro said:
So, without computers, no softer way?

For 12 and 52 you don't need a computer to factorize it. The prime factors of 12 are 2 and 3. So ##\phi(12)## is 12(1-1/2)(1-1/3)=4. I didn't need a computer for that. And it's certainly easier than checking all of the numbers from 1...12 to see if they are relatively prime to 12. What kind of numbers are you thinking about? If it's easy to factor it's easy to find the totient.

Last edited:
Thanks, but note that
[itex] \phi(m) = 12 [/itex]
not m = 12.
I want to find m.
xD

Dinheiro said:
Thanks, but note that
[itex] \phi(m) = 12 [/itex]
not m = 12.
I want to find m.
xD

I read the question badly. Sorry. 12 is easy. 13 is prime so ##\phi(13)=12##. All I can suggest is try to use that phi is multiplicative. So if you want 52 then 52=2*26. So one factor should be a number that satisfies ##\phi(m)=2##, plenty of those. Then you want another relatively prime m such that ##\phi(m)=26##. So you can break it down somewhat. I'm sort of getting stuck there.

Doh, wait. 53 is prime too. So?

Last edited:

What is Euler's totient function?

Euler's totient function, also known as Euler's phi function, is a mathematical function that counts the positive integers up to a given number that are relatively prime to that number. It is denoted by the symbol φ(n), where n is the given number.

What is the significance of Euler's totient function?

Euler's totient function is important in number theory and cryptography. It is used to calculate the number of relatively prime integers to a given number, which is useful in determining whether two numbers are coprime. It is also used in the RSA encryption algorithm.

How is Euler's totient function calculated?

The formula for Euler's totient function is φ(n) = n * (1 - 1/p1) * (1 - 1/p2) * ... * (1 - 1/pk), where n is the given number and p1, p2, ..., pk are the distinct prime factors of n. This formula can also be written as φ(n) = n * (1 - 1/p), where p is the smallest prime factor of n.

What is the relationship between Euler's totient function and the prime factorization of a number?

As shown in the formula for Euler's totient function, it is closely related to the prime factorization of a number. The function takes into account the number of times each prime factor appears in the factorization and uses this information to calculate the number of relatively prime integers to the given number.

Can Euler's totient function be used to find the inverse of a number modulo n?

Yes, the inverse of a number modulo n can be found using Euler's totient function and the extended Euclidean algorithm. This is an important application of the function in cryptography and modular arithmetic.