Understanding Euler Classes in Smooth Manifolds

In summary, the conversation discusses the Euler class of an embedded manifold in a higher dimensional manifold and its relation to the normal bundle of the embedding. It is stated that if the manifold is null homologous and the Poincare duality holds, then the Euler class is zero. The conversation then touches on the Euler class of spheres and the need for an ambient space in discussing normal bundles. The final question asks about the person's progress in studying characteristic classes and algebraic topology.
lavinia
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I want to make sure of this question: If a compact oriented n manifold is smoothly embedded in another oriented manifold and is homologous to zero as a cycle in this higher dimensional manifold then the Euler class of its normal bundle is zero.

why do i think this?

since M is null homologous as an n cycle, then every closed n form on N, the ambient manifold, integrates to zero on M. by Poincare duality the Thom class of the normal bundle is zero.

so the euler class of the normal bundle of any embedding of a smooth manifold in euclidean space is zero.

yes/no?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi lavinia, sorry for the necropost; I was doing a search, and I came into this:

I don't know enough to give a definitive answer, but, AFAIK, the Euler class of ## S^{2n+1} ## is 2 :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler_class

Although I don't know if it is assumed there that the spheres are embedded in ## \mathbb R^{2n+2} ## ( or higher);
still, if one is talking about normal bundles of a manifold M , there must some ambient space for this to make sense, and I think this article assumes ## S^{2n+1}## is embedded in ## \mathbb R^{2n+2}## ; there is even reference of nowhere-zero sections, which I imagine live in Euclidean (2n+2)-space.

WWGD said:
Hi lavinia, sorry for the necropost; I was doing a search, and I came into this:

I don't know enough to give a definitive answer, but, AFAIK, the Euler class of ## S^{2n+1} ## is 2 :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler_class

Although I don't know if it is assumed there that the spheres are embedded in ## \mathbb R^{2n+2} ## ( or higher);
still, if one is talking about normal bundles of a manifold M , there must some ambient space for this to make sense, and I think this article assumes ## S^{2n+1}## is embedded in ## \mathbb R^{2n+2}## ; there'll is even reference of nowhere-zero sections, which I imagine live in Euclidean (2n+2)-space.

Hi WWGD

Thanks for writing. I am not sure what you are saying about the sphere. Can you restate your point? BTW: The Euler class of an odd dimensional sphere is zero. Did you mean even dimensional?

I think I now understand the answer to this post.
I

Actually, sorry, I should learn a bit more about this before commenting; I am still at a rudimentary level, I have not done any serious reading yet.

lavinia said:
Hi WWGD

Thanks for writing. I am not sure what you are saying about the sphere. Can you restate your point? BTW: The Euler class of an odd dimensional sphere is zero. Did you mean even dimensional?

I think I now understand the answer to this post.
I
Where have you got to in your study of characteristic classes? How is your algebraic topology?

1. What is the Euler class of a normal bundle?

The Euler class of a normal bundle is a topological invariant that measures the obstruction to finding a continuous section of a vector bundle over a given space. In simpler terms, it is a way to describe the twisting or curvature of a normal bundle.

2. How is the Euler class of a normal bundle calculated?

The Euler class of a normal bundle can be calculated using the Pontryagin-Thom construction, which involves embedding the given space into a higher dimensional sphere and then calculating the topological degree of the normal bundle over each point on the sphere.

3. What is the significance of the Euler class of a normal bundle?

The Euler class of a normal bundle is significant because it is a topological invariant, meaning it does not depend on the specific geometric or metric properties of the space. It can be used to classify and distinguish different spaces, and it also has applications in fields such as differential geometry and topology.

4. Can the Euler class of a normal bundle be zero?

Yes, the Euler class of a normal bundle can be zero. This typically occurs when the given space is orientable, meaning it has a consistent sense of orientation, and the normal bundle can be smoothly oriented. In this case, the Euler class is equal to the Euler characteristic of the space.

5. How does the Euler class of a normal bundle relate to the Euler characteristic?

The Euler class of a normal bundle is related to the Euler characteristic of the space through the Gauss-Bonnet theorem, which states that the Euler characteristic of a compact orientable surface is equal to the integral of the Gaussian curvature over the surface. This theorem can also be extended to higher dimensional spaces using the Euler class of the normal bundle.