1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

European Vs. North American Masters degree

1. Nov 3, 2004 #1
    I recently finished my bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering in Canada, and I'm planning to continue to finish at the masters level and in this regard i am particulary looking to do so in europe where many technical schools offer what they call international masters degree (i.e. programs that are taught in English). I am considering the field of microelectronics and/or nanotechnology.

My concern is regarding the transition itself and how it could effect my career when I return to north america to get a job or to continue for a Phd. For instance, does north american companies value a "european" masters degree in EE as much it does for a north american one?

Logically, one could say "if you're planning to stay and live in the Canada/USA then you should have your education (especailly if it's a higher one) in Canada/USA as well", but then to how much extent is that true?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2004 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I may be wrong, but aren't the Canadian educational system more similar to the UK system than the US? You do have such things as the A-level exams, don't you? So I think there is less of a concern with your degree being acceptable in Europe. There could be some if you're thinking of working in the US.

Zz.

4. Nov 4, 2004 #3
    BTW, what i mean by Europe is continental europe, i didn't mean to inculde the UK.

There is no "A level" in Canada, however canadian universities accept them as basis for admission from international students, though it requires the SAT from U.S students. In general, the system in Canada is similar to that in the U.S, hence the expression north american, you also have to consider the fact of free trade and movement b/w the two countries which facilitates the transfer of educational qualifications and degrees and bridges any differences b/w their respective educational systems.

5. Nov 4, 2004 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Oh well, then I was wrong.

And yes, I did know you meant Europe rather than just UK, but UK educational system is well-known throughout Europe, so typically acceptance and accredition aren't a problem, no?

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?