Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Europeans and Small Talk or Lack Thereof

1. Jul 12, 2003 #1
    I always thought I hated small-talk until I went to Europe. I hate the way you can go to lunch or have drinks with a European, and he/she will sit there with nothing to say. It's fvckin' creepy! It makes good ol' red-blooded Americans like myself feel fvckin' nervous!

It's funny because Europeans often criticize Americans for starting conversations about nothing in particular. You know what though? That's a hell of a lot better than sitting there staring at someone who's impersonating a deaf-mute. How can an entire continent of people have absolutely nothing to say? I mean, I know life in Europe moves far slower than in the fast-paced, cut-throat capitalistic, American society... but seriously.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2003 #2
    Maybe our food's so much better that we decide to eat instead of talking when eating out :wink:
  4. Jul 12, 2003 #3
    Maybe the Europeans just dont like you.
  5. Jul 12, 2003 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you think that's bad, you should hear European talk radio...dead silence!

The old timers in Oregon are like this also. I was once in a busy restaraunt - full of mostly retired folks - that was virtually silent. It was creepy!
  6. Jul 12, 2003 #5
    oh no culture shock...
  7. Jul 13, 2003 #6
    You best not be talking about europeans having no culture.
  8. Jul 13, 2003 #7
    i think pulp fiction says it all, the scene with travolta and thurman in the diner. 'u know when ure really comfortable with someone when u dont feel u have to fill the silence' (or summink like that). or is it that we have nothing in common. or is it even that if we talked to you u'd have to talk back in that damn annoying accent (that goes for canadians too).
  9. Jul 13, 2003 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't worry, everybody knows us yankees (that means the colonies) ain't got no culture. We just make fun of everyone elses.
  10. Jul 13, 2003 #9
    Well to be fair, I would say that the English are least likely to follow this stereotype. From my experiences it is most prevalent in people from the Germanic and Scandinavian countries. Besides, from what I've heard and seen, the English consider themselves to be just English... not really European.

11. Jul 13, 2003 #10
    damn straight.
  12. Jul 13, 2003 #11
    too damn right we aint european, and we are great at small talk, but generally only with people we know quite well. and we refuse to eat with our mouths full which is why dinner coversations are a bit sparse
  13. Jul 13, 2003 #12
    Thats more like it, we are too civilised to talk whilst eating, i mean thats disgusting isnt it, spitting food everywhere whilst talking.
  14. Jul 13, 2003 #13

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And of those, the Finn's take the prize.
  15. Jul 13, 2003 #14
    You can say that again. Everytime I socialize with a certain Finnish girl, it's like I have to pull the words out of her... but she's so pretty, it's worth it.

16. Jul 13, 2003 #15
    isnt the weather nice today?
  17. Jul 13, 2003 #16
    It just looks nice I bet its going to rain.
  18. Jul 13, 2003 #17

I think europe is awesome, you just got to learn to blend in. remember your in thier country is all, they open up with you if you make it happen.
    dx :wink:
  19. Jul 13, 2003 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm part Finnish. We are known as the most boring people on earth. Too much snow, vodka, and checkers.
  20. Jul 13, 2003 #19
    Sh:t... have seen how beautiful Finnish girls are? They're like Swedish girls with Russian features.

Sometimes, I comtemplate dropping everything and applying for a job at Nokia. I here they pay sh:t... but imagine the view.

Screw conversation! Can a life consisting of taking saunas, drinking vodka, rolling in the snow, and snuggling under warm covers with pretty girls really be that boring? Besides, my sources tell me that Finland has the most national holidays (no work days) of any country in the world... thirty-seven and a half. Don't ask me where the half comes from.

21. Jul 13, 2003 #20
    I'm kinda abivalent about it. On one side I'd love my brother to talk more. He just gets home from work, and think everything is perfectly ok and only talk about these small things I know 2 secs what he's about to say. So that's very frustrating.
    On the other hand my family in dinners always talk about stuff, usually on building of houses or politics. But still that's pretty smallish, because it's lots of girls but we still talk little about basic things as 'how was your day' or 'how're you feeling'.

Secondly though, and I've not been in usa, when I search through forums it's the americans who I really hate the most for doing the most filling up thread after thread with plain and simple: spam. I'd rather have a forum posted 2 messages by people each day of seriousness, than 50 a day with 90% spam. I really hate when that happens.

I love silence, and often it's because I can't hear myself think when something gotto be 'on' all the time, whether TV or someone talking. But here and there I'd love to just talk about everything also.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?