Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evababi outpost tavern

1. Dec 3, 2009 #1

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2009 #2
    Re: Evababi

I don't get it?

4. Dec 3, 2009 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You remember all those space movies where the astronauts go to some dingy astronaut bar?

This is *the* astronaut bar.

5. Dec 3, 2009 #4

Yes, I understand.

The "closing forever" part is what I don't get. The NYT article says it's been rescued (new grill and all) instead of being forced to close down.

Enlighten me! :smile:

6. Dec 3, 2009 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The NYT article is from 2000, when economics was going to force the bar to close.

The road that fronts the bar has changed over the years from a two lane Farm to Market road to a seven lane thoroughfare. The land on which the bar is located has also changed hands multiple times. The writing is on the wall; that land is now worth far more than a dingy bar could ever come up with in rent.

Ahh. A more recent article: http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-120209a.html

7. Dec 3, 2009 #6

Aah, now it makes sense. I was looking at the wrong line (Friday, December 4, 2009 :redface:) and was under the impression the article was fairly recent.

It's a shame, but the writing was on the wall even back then.
    Maybe a relocation is in order...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook