Evaluate Double integral

In summary, When evaluating the integral of (x+y) over the region to the left of the y-axis between the circles x^2 + y^2 = 1 and x^2 + y^2 = 4 using polar coordinates, an additional r is included in the integrand due to the change in area element. The formula for the area element in polar coordinates is dA = rdrd\theta.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral [tex]\int {\int\limits_R {\left( {x + y} \right)\,dA} } [/tex] where R is the region that lies to the left of the y-axis between the circles [tex]x^2 + y^2 = 1[/tex] and [tex]x^2 + y^2 = 4[/tex] by changing to polar coordinates.

Homework Equations

x=r cos theta
y=r sin theta

The Attempt at a Solution

my effort:

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
r_{inner} = \sqrt 1 = 1,\,\,r_{outer} = \sqrt 4 = 2 \\
R = \left\{ {\left( {r,\theta |1 \le r \le 4,\,\frac{{3\pi }}{2}\,\theta \le \pi } \right)} \right\} \\
x = r\cos \left( \theta \right),\,\,\,y = r\sin \left( \theta \right) \\
\int\limits_1^2 {\int\limits_{\pi /2}^{3\pi /2} {\left( {r\cos \left( \theta \right) + r\sin \left( \theta \right)} \right)\,d\theta \,dr} } \\
\end{array}[/tex]

The solution shows an extra instance of r in the integral. If the original question is for (x+y) then why isn't it simply r cos + r sin, rather than r(r cos + r sin)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming everything else is correct:

there is an additional r because of Jacobian
you will learn co-od transformations soon
when you transform, area changes, and that
r takes into account of that

the area element in polar coordinates is :

[tex] dA = rdrd\theta[/tex]
that is where the extra r comes from.

Thanks!

I was about to say never mind because I just found the formula in the book. It gives the extra r.

But I'm glad I asked, because now I understand where it comes from.

indeed, you can see this also if you draw out the picture of the infinitesimal pieces: rdtheta will be a small slice of length. multiplying by dr will give you approximately a small square. so dxdy =~ rdrdtheta

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a surface in two dimensions. It is represented by two integral symbols and is used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object.

2. How do I evaluate a double integral?

To evaluate a double integral, you need to first set up the integral by determining the limits of integration for both variables. Then, you can solve the integral using various techniques such as using substitution, integration by parts, or using a table of integrals.

3. What is the difference between a single and double integral?

A single integral is used to find the area under a curve in one dimension, while a double integral is used to find the volume under a surface in two dimensions. In other words, a single integral is a special case of a double integral where one of the limits of integration is fixed.

4. Can a double integral be evaluated using software or calculators?

Yes, there are many mathematical software programs and calculators that can evaluate double integrals. However, it is important to understand the concept and theory behind double integrals before relying on technology to solve them.

5. What are some real-life applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have many real-life applications, such as calculating the volume of a solid object, determining the center of mass of an irregular shape, and finding the average value of a function over a certain area. They are also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to solve various problems.