1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluate integral by area

1. Dec 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate the integral by intrepreting it in terms of areas

from -3 to 0

(1+ sqrt(9-x2)dx

2. Relevant equations

integral = F(0)-F(-3)

3. The attempt at a solution

first find F

F = x - [(9-x2)3/2]/3

I solved using integral = F(0)-F(-3)

and I got the incorrect answer I think it is because I am finding the definite integral and not the area. If this was my problem how would I find the area? Graphing?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes - graph it. The function defines a fairly simple geometric object.

BTW, your work finding an antiderivative, besides not being the direction you're supposed to go, is incorrect. If you take the derivative of the function you found, you don't get 1 + sqrt(9 -x^2)

4. Dec 5, 2009 #3
    ok i changed it i think its right now and i will try to graph it

5. Dec 5, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If you want to get credit for your work, the first thing you should do is graph your function. This problem has nothing to do with finding antiderivatives.

6. Dec 5, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It would help to think of this as two separate integrals:
    [tex]\int_{-3}^0 1+ \sqrt{9- x^2} dx= \int_{-3}^0 1 dx+ \int_{-3}^0 \sqrt{9- x^2} dx[/tex]
    Graph each, if necessary, to recognise that those are simple figures and use basic area formulas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook