How to find the area of two simple figures to evaluate the integral from -3 to 0

In summary, the conversation discusses how to evaluate the integral by interpreting it in terms of areas. The suggested approach is to graph the function and think of the integral as two separate integrals. The first integral is a simple figure and the second integral can be solved using basic area formulas.
synergix

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral by intrepreting it in terms of areas

from -3 to 0

(1+ sqrt(9-x2)dx

Homework Equations

integral = F(0)-F(-3)

The Attempt at a Solution

first find F

F = x - [(9-x2)3/2]/3

I solved using integral = F(0)-F(-3)

and I got the incorrect answer I think it is because I am finding the definite integral and not the area. If this was my problem how would I find the area? Graphing?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes - graph it. The function defines a fairly simple geometric object.

BTW, your work finding an antiderivative, besides not being the direction you're supposed to go, is incorrect. If you take the derivative of the function you found, you don't get 1 + sqrt(9 -x^2)

ok i changed it i think its right now and i will try to graph it

If you want to get credit for your work, the first thing you should do is graph your function. This problem has nothing to do with finding antiderivatives.

It would help to think of this as two separate integrals:
[tex]\int_{-3}^0 1+ \sqrt{9- x^2} dx= \int_{-3}^0 1 dx+ \int_{-3}^0 \sqrt{9- x^2} dx[/tex]
Graph each, if necessary, to recognise that those are simple figures and use basic area formulas.

1. What is the concept behind evaluating an integral by area?

The concept behind evaluating an integral by area is to find the area under a curve on a graph. This can help us solve problems involving change, such as finding the distance traveled by an object or the accumulation of a substance over time.

2. How do I know which method to use when evaluating an integral by area?

There are various methods for evaluating an integral by area, such as the Riemann sum, the trapezoidal rule, and Simpson's rule. The method you use will depend on the shape of the curve and the level of accuracy required for your problem. It is important to understand all the methods and choose the most appropriate one for your specific problem.

3. Can I use software or calculators to evaluate an integral by area?

Yes, there are many software programs and calculators that can help you evaluate an integral by area. These tools can save time and provide accurate results. However, it is important to understand the concept and methods behind evaluating integrals by area, rather than solely relying on technology.

4. Are there any real-life applications of evaluating integrals by area?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of evaluating integrals by area. For example, it can be used in physics to calculate the displacement of an object over time, in economics to determine the total profit of a business over a certain period, and in chemistry to find the total amount of a substance produced in a reaction.

5. How can I use the results of evaluating an integral by area in my research or experiments?

The results of evaluating an integral by area can be used to analyze and interpret data in various fields of study, such as physics, chemistry, economics, and engineering. It can help you make predictions, draw conclusions, and understand the behavior of a system over time. It is a valuable tool for scientists in their research and experiments.