1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluate integral of a polynomial over another polynomial (complicated substitution)

1. Dec 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[itex]\int^{√x}_{1}[/itex][itex]\frac{t^{3}+t-1}{t^{2}(t^{2}+1)}[/itex] dt

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So I first start by expanding the bottom part of the fraction to t[itex]^{4}[/itex]+t[itex]^{2}[/itex], and letting u equal to that. Then du=4t[itex]^{3}[/itex]+2t dt. I move the common multiple of 2 over to the other side so that it is (1/2)du=2t[itex]^{3}[/itex]+t dt. I cannot find out how to relate that to the numerator (although I am so close).

Can someone please help? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: Evaluate integral of a polynomial over another polynomial (complicated substituti

Do you know partial fractions decomposition? That seems to me to be the way to go. Using that technique you rewrite (t3 + t - 1)/(t2(t2 + 1) as the sum of three rational expressions of the form
    [tex]\frac{A}{t} + \frac{B}{t^2} + \frac{Ct + D}{t^2 + 1}[/tex]

The idea is to find constants A, B, C, D so that the new representation is identically equal to the original rational expression. Once you find the constants, then integrate the sum of simpler functions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook