Evaluating Limit: (1 + \frac{1}{x})^x = e

• Thread starter whatlifeforme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: The chain rule says that if you have a function f(g(x)) and you want to differentiate it, you can do it like this:f(g(x)) = g'(x) - f'(g(x))h(x)In this equation, g'(x) is the derivative of g(x) and f'(g(x)) is the derivative of f(g(x)). The h(x) is the derivative of the functionh(x).
whatlifeforme

Homework Statement

Evaluate.

Homework Equations

[itex]lim_{x->infinity} (1 + \frac{1}{x})^x = e[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

lne = x(1+[itex]\frac{1}{x})[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1+\frac{1}{x}}{1/x}[/itex] = 1/0 = ∞ (is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
whatlifeforme said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate.

Homework Equations

No, and you're going about it the wrong way, it seems to me. You're supposed to evaluate the given limit, and show that it is e.

One way to go is to let y = ##\lim_{x->\infty} (1 + \frac{1}{x})^x ##, then take ln of both sides. If you work with it a bit, you can get something that you can use L'Hopital's Rule on.

BTW, in LaTeX, ∞ is \infty, and limit is \lim.

whatlifeforme said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate.
Evaluate what?

Homework Equations

No, these are both nonsense. Surely you don't mean to claim that these equations hold for all ##x##?

Mark44 said:
No, and you're going about it the wrong way, it seems to me. You're supposed to evaluate the given limit, and show that it is e.

One way to go is to let y = ##\lim_{x->\infty} (1 + \frac{1}{x})^x ##, then take ln of both sides. If you work with it a bit, you can get something that you can use L'Hopital's Rule on.

BTW, in LaTeX, ∞ is \infty, and limit is \lim.

if i take ln i get x(1+1/x) -->> make form for L'Hopital's rule: [itex]\frac{1+(1/x)}{1/x}[/itex]

which is 1/0 --> applying l'hopital's again just makes it more complicated but no closer to the answer needed.

if i apply L'H again i get : (-1/x^2)/(-1/x^2) which would = 1 but the limit of that would be zero correct?

if the limit = 1 then the that makes the answer e.

whatlifeforme said:
if i take ln i get x(1+1/x)
You're leaving something out.
If y = (1 + 1/x)x,
then ln(y) = ln[(1 + 1/x)x]
Now work with the right side. ln should not go away.
whatlifeforme said:
-->> make form for L'Hopital's rule: [itex]\frac{1+(1/x)}{1/x}[/itex]

which is 1/0 --> applying l'hopital's again just makes it more complicated but no closer to the answer needed.

whatlifeforme said:
if i take ln i get x(1+1/x)
NO, you don't. You get x ln(1+ 1/x)

-->> make form for L'Hopital's rule: [itex]\frac{1+(1/x)}{1/x}[/itex]

HallsofIvy said:
NO, you don't. You get x ln(1+ 1/x)

sorry. well even if that is the case:

lim (X->∞) [itex]\frac{ln(1+(1/x)}{1/x}[/itex] = 0/0

then

L'Hopitals -->> [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\frac{1}{1+(1/x)}}{\frac{-1}{x^2}}[/itex] = 1/0

1/0 still keeps popping up; do i conclude that the limit of lny = ∞

1/0 is not an indeterminate form in which l'hopital's can be applied, correct?

furthermore, if we conclude that 1/0 = ∞

then we have:

lim (x->∞) lny = ∞
lim (x->∞) [itex]e^{lny}[/itex] = [itex]e^∞[/itex]

but I'm looking for [itex]e^1[/itex] not [itex]e^∞[/itex]

Last edited:
i found some help on another website:

lim_(x->oo)(1 + 1/x)^x = lim_(x->0)(1 + x)^(1/x)`

Let `y = (1 + x)^(1/x)`

how does lim_(x->oo)(1 + 1/x)^x = lim_(x->0)(1 + x)^(1/x)`

whatlifeforme said:
sorry. well even if that is the case:

lim (X->∞) [itex]\frac{ln(1+(1/x)}{1/x}[/itex] = 0/0then

L'Hopitals -->> [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\frac{1}{1+(1/x)}}{\frac{-1}{x^2}}[/itex] = 1/0

What does the chain rule say when differentiating a function f(g(x))? Think about that and then try to re-do the step where you apply L'Hopital's rule.

1. What is the definition of a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a specific value. It is represented by the notation lim f(x), and is read as "the limit of f(x) as x approaches a". A limit can be thought of as the value that a function is approaching, but never actually reaches, as its input gets closer and closer to a specific value.

2. How do you evaluate a limit algebraically?

To evaluate a limit algebraically, you first need to simplify the function as much as possible. Then, you can substitute the value that the input is approaching into the function and solve for the resulting expression. If the resulting expression is undefined, you can use algebraic techniques such as factoring, rationalizing the denominator, or applying the properties of limits to simplify it further until you can evaluate the limit.

3. What is the significance of the limit (1 + \frac{1}{x})^x = e?

This limit is significant because it represents the definition of the mathematical constant e. As the value of x gets larger and larger, the function (1 + \frac{1}{x})^x approaches the value of e. This connection between limits and the constant e is important in various applications of calculus, such as compound interest and continuous growth.

4. Can limits be evaluated numerically?

Yes, limits can also be evaluated numerically by using a table of values or a graphing calculator. This method involves plugging in values that are close to the value that the input is approaching and observing the corresponding outputs. The more values you use, the more accurate your estimate of the limit will be.

5. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function from one side of the input, either approaching from the left or from the right. A two-sided limit takes into account the behavior of the function from both sides of the input. In order for a limit to exist, the one-sided limits must be equal. However, a limit may exist even if the one-sided limits are not equal.