What is the method for evaluating a line integral with a given parametrization?

In summary: P(s) and Q(s). You just have to be careful of the limits of integration.In summary, the conversation discusses a line integral of the form \int P\,.dx+Q\,.dy and the use of parametrization to simplify the integration process. The original integrand is given by \int^1_0 4t^3-2t\sin(t^2-1)+2t\cos(t^2+1)\,.dt, and the conversation explores different methods of evaluating the integral, including direct substitution and using x=t^2-1 and y=t^2+1 to eliminate the parameters. The correct answer is found to be 1.527 (correct to 3 d
DryRun
Gold Member
Homework Statement
http://s2.ipicture.ru/uploads/20120204/iuPLuS1l.png

The attempt at a solution

[itex]x=t^2-1[/itex] and [itex]y=t^2+1[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dx}{dt}=2t[/itex] and [itex]\frac{dy}{dt}=2t[/itex]

The line integral is of the form: [itex]\int P\,.dx+Q\,.dy[/itex]

So, i use direct substitution:
[tex]\int^1_0 4t^3-2t\sin(t^2-1)+2t\cos(t^2+1)\,.dt[/tex]
Is my method correct? I can't integrate any further, as i tried integration by parts for [itex]t\sin(t^2-1)[/itex]and got stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
I figured it out a while back. The integration gives:
[tex]\left[ t^4 +\cos (t^2-1)+\sin (t^2+1) \right]^{t=1}_{t=0}[/tex]
And the answer is: 1.528 (correct to 3 d.p.)

However, i am curious to know why the need for parametrization?
I know it's normally used to simply the integration process, for example, the preference of using polar coordinates when integrating over a circular region, rather than Cartesian coordinates. But in this case, I've tried to work it out differently, to see if i could get the answer by omitting ##t## in the integrand.

When t varies from 0→1, x varies from -1→0 and y varies from 1→2
Then, integrating the original integrand directly, i get:
[tex]\left[xy+\cos x\right]^{x=0}_{x=-1}+\left[ x+ \sin 2 -\sin 1 \right]^{y=2}_{y=1}[/tex]
And the answer that i get: [tex]1+y-\cos 1+x+\sin 2-\sin 1[/tex]
It's clear that this method doesn't give me a numerical answer, but i can't understand why not, as i used the values of ##t## to derive the limits for both x and y. Is there a way to get the final answer without using ##t## in the integrand? I can't quite understand the concept of parametrization, as i thought it was just a means to make reaching the solution easier/faster, but not the only way to solve/evaluate the integral.

Last edited:
The first integrand is y(x) -sin (x). What is y(x) on the curve?

clamtrox said:
The first integrand is y(x) -sin (x). What is y(x) on the curve?

I'm not sure what you mean.
[tex]y(t)=t^2+1[/tex]
y varies from 1→2

sharks said:
I figured it out a while back. The integration gives:
[tex]\left[ t^4 +\cos (t^2-1)+\sin (t^2+1) \right]^{t=1}_{t=0}[/tex]
And the answer is: 1.528 (correct to 3 d.p.)

However, i am curious to know why the need for parametrization?
I know it's normally used to simply the integration process, for example, the preference of using polar coordinates when integrating over a circular region, rather than Cartesian coordinates. But in this case, I've tried to work it out differently, to see if i could get the answer by omitting ##t## in the integrand.

When t varies from 0→1, x varies from -1→0 and y varies from 1→2
Then, integrating the original integrand directly, i get:
[tex]\left[xy+\cos x\right]^{x=0}_{x=-1}+\left[ x+ \sin 2 -\sin 1 \right]^{y=2}_{y=1}[/tex]
And the answer that i get: [tex]1+y-\cos 1+x+\sin 2-\sin 1[/tex]

If you are going to evaluate the integral as written as a dx and dy, you have to have the integrand in terms of the x or y variables accordingly. This means on the dx integral you need to express y in terms of x (which depends on the path) and on the dy integral you need to express x in terms of y, which again depends on the path. Line integrals like this may not be independent of the path you use, but they are independent of the parameterization of the path. You could eliminate the parameter t and get a y-x equation for the path and work the dx and dy integrals as I indicated above. Should get the same answer.

LCKurtz said:
If you are going to evaluate the integral as written as a dx and dy, you have to have the integrand in terms of the x or y variables accordingly. This means on the dx integral you need to express y in terms of x (which depends on the path) and on the dy integral you need to express x in terms of y, which again depends on the path. Line integrals like this may not be independent of the path you use, but they are independent of the parameterization of the path. You could eliminate the parameter t and get a y-x equation for the path and work the dx and dy integrals as I indicated above. Should get the same answer.

From [itex]x=t^2-1[/itex] and [itex]y=t^2+1[/itex], [itex]y=x+2[/itex]
The original line integral becomes:
[tex]\int_C ((x+2)-\sin x)dx+((y-2)+\cos y)dy=\int^{0}_{-1} (x+2-\sin x)dx+ \int^2_1(y-2+\cos y)dy[/tex] But the answer is: -2.472 (correct to 3 d.p.), which is different!

You made a mistake somewhere evaluating the integrals. Mathematica gives 1.52752.

sharks said:
From [itex]x=t^2-1[/itex] and [itex]y=t^2+1[/itex], [itex]y=x+2[/itex]
The original line integral becomes:
[tex]\int_C ((x+2)-\sin x)dx+((y-2)+\cos y)dy=\int^{0}_{-1} (x+2-\sin x)dx+ \int^2_1(y-2+\cos y)dy[/tex] But the answer is: -2.472 (correct to 3 d.p.), which is different!

That integral is set up correctly and evaluates to 1.527524136 just like the other one.

You are right. :redface:

Thanks for the help.

Notice also that there is nothing stopping you from getting rid of this silly parametrization by choosing t^2 = s, and doing the calculation as usual

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral used in mathematics and physics to calculate the total value of a function along a specific path or curve.

2. How is a line integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral calculates the area under a curve, while a line integral calculates the total value of a function along a specific path or curve.

3. What is the significance of a line integral in physics?

In physics, line integrals are used to calculate work, force, and other physical quantities along a specific path or curve. They are also used to calculate the potential energy of a system.

4. How is a line integral evaluated?

A line integral is evaluated by breaking the curve into small segments and using the fundamental theorem of calculus to sum up the values of the function at each point. The smaller the segments, the more accurate the result.

5. Can line integrals be used in higher dimensions?

Yes, line integrals can be extended to higher dimensions, known as surface and volume integrals. These are used to calculate the total value of a function over a surface or within a volume, respectively.