1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluate math limit question

1. May 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

use lim as x__>0 (sin(x))/(x) to evaluate the following : lim (x^(2) cot(x) + sin(x/2) - cos(x) + 1)/(x) as x__>0

3. The attempt at a solution
    1- lim as x__>0 (x^(2) cot(x))/ (x)= x cotx = x (cosx)/(sinx)= (x/sinx) cosx = 1.1=1
    And I think I can use L'Hospital's Rule to evaluate the previous one, right?
    2- lim as x__>0 (sin(x/2))/(x)= 1/2 (sin(x/2))/(x/2)= 1/2.
    3. this is where it gets hard. I tried to use L'Hospital's Rule, but I just want to see if that makes sense or not. lim as x__>0 (-cosx +1)/(x)= 0/0. using L'H, I will get lim as x__>0 sinx= 0 . so my final answer will be 1+1/2+-0= 1.5. Is this right?

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: Evaluate

Right answer, but you need to carry the limit symbol all the way until you actually take the limit. For example, in 1, you should say lim (x^(2) cot(x))/ (x)= lim x cotx = lim x (cosx)/(sinx)= lim (x/sinx) * lim cosx = 1 * 1 = 1. (All limits are as x --> 0.)

Many instructors will ding you if you write something such as (x/sinx) cosx = 1.1=1, which isn't generally true.

4. May 18, 2010 #3

Thanks for pointing out the limit symbol.
    And again thanks for checking my answer.

5. May 18, 2010 #4

Cyosis

Homework Helper

It strikes me as odd that you were allowed to use L'hopitals since the exercise states 'use lim as x__>0 (sin(x))/(x) to evaluate the following'. If you could use L'hopitals why even bother with giving you that limit?

6. May 18, 2010 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi philippe311! :smile:

(write "->0" … it's easier to read … and try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)
    3. is a bit difficult to read … if you're saying limx->0 (1-cosx)/x = limx->0 sinx/1 = 0, then 1 2 and 3 are all correct. :smile:

However, the question doesn't ask you to use l'Hôpital's rule except specifically for sinx/x … perhaps you should use one of the standard trigonometric identities … 1 - cosx = 2sin2(x/2)) ? :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook