Double Integral of (x+y) over Region Bounded by y=x^2 and y=x^(1/2)

In summary, the homework statement is that the function y = x^2 and y = x^(1/2) are equal at (0,0) and (1,1). TheAttempt at a Solution provides an approximate solution to the equation for the limits of the integral when the limits of integration are presented through the analytical expression of the domain.
boneill3

Homework Statement

\int \int_R (x+y) dA R is the region y = x^2 and y = x^(1/2)

Homework Equations

I've sketched the graph and the functions are equal at (0,0) and (1,1)

The Attempt at a Solution

Would the limits of the integral be:

\int_{0}^{1) \int_{0}^{1} (x+y) dydx

regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry would it be

Would the limits of the integral be:

\int_{0}^{1) \int_{x^1/2}^{x^2} (x+y) dydx

regards

boneill3, double integration is not like single variable integration. You need to always express your first limits in terms of your second integrating variable. Perhaps some math guru can come in here and give you a more rigorous definition.

But here your limits are \int_{0}^{1) \int_{x^2}^{x^(1/2)} dydx

perhaps here may help:

http://ltcconline.net/greenl/courses/202/multipleIntegration/iteratedIntegrals.htm

edit: I was a little too slow on the reply

djeitnstine said:
boneill3, double integration is not like single variable integration. You need to always express your first limits in terms of your second integrating variable.

Not always, sometimes the two are independent, it's just in this case they are not.

Thanks, I just know how to do it, not the reasoning behind it =]

Thank you for that web link It explains it a lot better than my lecture notes.

I see that I got the functions upper and lower boundsupside down as well.

\int_{x^2}^{x^1/2}

instead of

\int_{0}^{1) \int_{x^1/2}^{x^2} (x+y) dydx

Hopefully I've got this one right

\int \int_R (xcosy) dA R in the region y = x and y = 0 and x = \pi

This is a triangular region bounded on the right by x = \pi, below by y = 0 and above by y = x.

So the limits are:
0<= x <= \pi and 0 <=y <= x

\int_{0}^{\pi) \int_{0}^{x} (xcosy) dydx

regards
Brendan

It looks right

boneill3 said:
Hopefully I've got this one right

\int \int_R (xcosy) dA R in the region y = x and y = 0 and x = \pi

This is a triangular region bounded on the right by x = \pi, below by y = 0 and above by y = x.

So the limits are:
0<= x <= \pi and 0 <=y <= x

\int_{0}^{\pi) \int_{0}^{x} (xcosy) dydx

regards
Brendan

That's right. The limits of integration are presented through the analytical expression of the domain:

So the domain of this question would be:

D = {(x,y)| 0<=y<=x, 0<=x<=pi }

Thanks guys

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation used to find the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space or the area between two surfaces in two-dimensional space. It involves calculating the sum of small rectangles or parallelograms within a given region.

2. What is the difference between a single integral and a double integral?

A single integral is used to find the area under a curve in one-dimensional space, while a double integral is used to find the volume or area between two surfaces in two- or three-dimensional space. A double integral involves integrating with respect to two variables, whereas a single integral only involves one variable.

3. How do you evaluate a double integral?

To evaluate a double integral, you first need to identify the limits of integration, which define the boundaries of the region over which you are integrating. Then, use the appropriate integration technique, such as the double integral formula or the Fubini's theorem, to solve the integral. Finally, plug in the limits of integration and calculate the result.

4. What are the applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have various applications in physics, engineering, and economics. They are commonly used to calculate the volume of objects with curved surfaces, such as spheres or cylinders. They are also used to find the mass and center of mass of an object, as well as to calculate the work done by a force in moving an object.

5. Can double integrals be evaluated using numerical methods?

Yes, double integrals can be evaluated using numerical methods, such as the trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule, or Monte Carlo integration. These methods are useful when the integral cannot be solved analytically or when the limits of integration are complex. However, they may not always be as accurate as analytical methods.