1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluate the double integral

1. Oct 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ∫∫x2dA; R is the region in the first quadrant enclosed by

xy=1, y=x, and y=2x.

First thing I did was notice that I had to find dydx, then

I graphed y=1/x, y=x, and y=2x.

Graphing I say that the limit of dy lie between x≤y≤2x

However I get confused as to how they want us to find dx.

My first approach was to use y=1/x and y=x and set them equal to each other, and solve for x. Doing so I get x2=1 or x = 1 getting only positive values since it lies in the first quadrant.

then I use set y=1/x, and y=2x equal to each other, and solve for x ; 1/x=2x thus giving me

x=√(2)/2.

Here is where I get confused the dx limit goes from 0≤x≤√(2)/2

I understand that dx would be the maximum value of x which is √(2)/2, but why wouldnt it be 1.

Also now giving it some thought, why did they choose to use 1/x and equal it to the other values, and not the graph of 2x or x?

Thanks

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The first thing you need to do is to describe the enclosed region correctly, and preferably, draw a picture with the enclosed region shaded in. The lines y = x, y = 2x and the curve xy=1 describe the boundary of the enclosed region. You need to know what are all the other points in the region. The inequality x ≤ y ≤ 2x that you gave above is only part of the story.

Within the interior of the region there is no relationship between dx and dy; I don't understand why you would think there was a connection between the two. (Again, maybe because you did not draw a picture?)

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook