Double Integral with Trigonometric Functions: Troubleshooting and Evaluation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the integral of a trigonometric function. The individual is getting an answer of 0 and suspects their trigonometry may be incorrect. However, it is determined that the integral should in fact be 0 due to the anti-symmetric nature of the integrand.
whynot314

Homework Statement

[itex]\int^{\pi}_{0}[/itex] [itex]\int^{1-sin\theta}_{0}[/itex] r[itex]^{2}[/itex] cos[itex]\theta[/itex] drd[itex]\theta[/itex]

I keep getting an answer of 0 but i am most certain that i am getting my trig messed up somewhere.
1/3 [itex]\int^{\pi}_{0}[/itex] r[itex]^{3}[/itex] cos[itex]\theta[/itex][itex]d[itex]\theta[/itex] from 0 to 1-sin\theta

then i get

1/3 [itex]\int^{\pi}_{0}[/itex] (1-sin\theta)^3 cos\theta d\theta

I then use substitution,u for 1-sin\theta then get 1/3 times -1/4(u)^4

substitute back the 1-sin\theta and evaluate from 0 to \pi and I keep getting zero please help thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hi whynot314! :smile:

looks ok …

the integrand is anti-symmetric about π/2, so it should be zero :wink:

thanks, I was just concerned bc these area ones are usually never turn out to be zero thanks.

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used in calculus to calculate the area under a two-dimensional surface. It involves integrating a function of two variables over a specific region in the xy-plane.

2. How is a double integral evaluated?

A double integral is evaluated by first setting up the limits of integration for both variables and then integrating the function over the given region. This can be done using various techniques such as the Riemann sum, the midpoint rule, or using polar coordinates for circular regions.

3. What is the difference between a single and double integral?

A single integral calculates the area under a one-dimensional curve, while a double integral calculates the volume under a two-dimensional surface. Single integrals have one variable of integration, while double integrals have two variables of integration.

4. Can a double integral be used to calculate other quantities besides area?

Yes, a double integral can also be used to calculate other quantities such as mass, moments of inertia, and center of mass. These quantities can be found by integrating over the density function of the object in question.

5. What are some real-life applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have various real-life applications, such as calculating the volume of a three-dimensional object, determining the average temperature in a given region, and finding the electric field of a charged object. They are also used in economics, physics, and engineering for various calculations and modeling.