1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluate the double integral

1. May 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2q2kemd.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

As with my other recent posts, I just want to check if I'm right or wrong as I don't have an answer scheme to go by.

For this question I simply converted to polar to get:

∫∫(a+a)r drdθ

for 0<r<a, 0<θ<2π ,

which solved to give

2πa3 .

Was that correct? I'm convinced I did something wrong because it seems a very easy 7 marks.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2014 #2
    You almost got it right. You made a silly arithmetical error. The integrand should be (a+r)r not (a+a)r.

##\int_0^a\int_0^{2\pi}(a+r)r d\theta dr##

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  4. May 5, 2014 #3
    Aaah right ok. Hmmm maybe a silly arithmetic error, but I can't see why it should be (a+ar)?

For converting to polar I did, dxdy = r drdθ,

which I presumed would then give the expression I used.

I can't see where I went wrong?

5. May 5, 2014 #4
    Sorry it should be this ##\int_0^a\int_0^{2\pi}(a+r)r d\theta dr##. What is ##\sqrt{x^2+y^2}## after you transform it into polar coordinates? What is ##x## and ##y## in terms of ##r## and ##\theta##?

6. May 5, 2014 #5
    Ah yeah I think I follow now. I think the x2 + y2 = a2 thing threw me a bit, making me think I should just swap it for an 'a' when really I can't do that at all.

It should be

f(x,y)dxdy → f(rcosθ,rsinθ)r drdθ

So in the case of the question

[a + √(x2 + y2)] dxdy → [(a + r)r] drdθ

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted