Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluate the following double integral

1. May 18, 2005 #1
    Just had an exam and I had to evaluate the following double integral, with limited success :mad:

[tex] \int_0^1 \int_0^{\pi} y\sin(xy) {dy} {dx}[/tex]

I managed to compute the first integral, that was ok, using parts. But trying to integrate that with respect to dx just yielded a whole lot of trouble. Could someone have a skim over this and see if its do-able using elementary calculus procedures {I say elementary, but you know what I mean}.

Thankyou

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2005 #2
    I would interchange the order of integration and integrate y Sin(x y) with respect to x to get -Cos(x y). Should be easy from here.

4. May 18, 2005 #3
    Rotation of variables was not covered at all... So say you weren't armed with that tool, what then? (not a cop out, honestly)

Last edited: May 18, 2005
  5. May 18, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Part integration wrt "y" and then integrate the result wrt "x",what else...?

Daniel.

6. May 18, 2005 #5
    The second integration w.r.t x wouldnt work for me.... Right im going to write down what I've done.

For the first inner integration, i have as follows:

[tex] \int_0^{\pi} y\cdot \sin(xy) dy = -\frac{\pi}{x}\cos({\pi x}) + \frac{1}{x^2} \cdot \sin({\pi x}) [/tex]

I have tried with an abundance of attempts to evaluate all that as an integral with respect to x and I go nowhere conclusive, and its really starting to irritate me. Man, i suck at this.

Any hints or tips...please!! :confused:

Last edited: May 18, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?