1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluate the integral ?

1. Oct 1, 2009 #1
    Evaluate the integral... ?:(

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that the function f and g and their derivatives have the following values at x=0, x=1.

[tex]f(0)=1, f(1)=3[/tex]
    [tex]f'(0)=5, f'(1)=\frac{1}{3}\right)[/tex]
    [tex]g(0)=1, g(1)=-4[/tex]
    [tex]g'(0)=\frac{1}{3}\right),g'(1)=-\frac{8}{3}\right)[/tex]

Evaluate the integral:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\right)(f^(^3^)(x^1^/^2))|[/tex] x=1

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    f(1)=g(1)

I know how to evaluate definite integrals and indefinate too, but i dont understand what it means by "evaluate the integral" in the question? I only see a derivative.

To my understanding...

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\right)(f^(^3^)(x^1^/^2))|[/tex] x=1 .....
    [tex] = f^(^4^)(x^1^/^2)[/tex]

So...
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\right)(f^(^3^)(x^1^/^2))=\frac{d^4y}{dx^4}\right)[/tex]

And multiplying the differential dx and integrating the integrand [tex]f^(^4^)[/tex] will give you [tex]f^(^3^)(x^1^/^2)[/tex] so somehow I am suppose to integrate [tex]f^(^3^)(x^1^/^2)[/tex] until I get to f`(x) which should equal 5 or -1/3?

I honestly don't understand the how to even start what the question is asking me. I just transferred to a different school and the professor already taught basic definite and indefinite integration in calculus I which I never learned in my calculus I class.

?:|

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Evaluate the integral... ?:(

What does g have to do with it? Are you sure you have stated the problem correctly?

4. Oct 1, 2009 #3
    Re: Evaluate the integral... ?:(

Yes, I just read the question again and it's word for word. It's has a part A and B, but part b has no function g either. *shrug*

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook