Numerical Evaluation of the Integral: e^-it J0(2t)

• Thread starter CalcYouLater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation involves evaluating the integral \int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-it}J_{0}(2t)dt to a numerical value. The person attempted to use a table but found a mistake and had to use Mathematica to compute the integral.
CalcYouLater

Homework Statement

Evaluate:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-it}J_{0}(2t)dt[/tex]

to a numerical value

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I went to the tables for this one and came up empty handed. I found an integral in a table that is almost this integral. The problem is that the integral I found cannot have an exp(-it) term in it...it only allows for exp(+it) terms.

Physics news on Phys.org
CalcYouLater said:
Well, I went to the tables for this one and came up empty handed. I found an integral in a table that is almost this integral. The problem is that the integral I found cannot have an exp(-it) term in it...it only allows for exp(+it) terms.

Try taking the complex conjugate of the integral formula.

Thanks for the reply. It turns out that the table I was using had a mistake in it. I used mathematica to compute the integral.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve. It is also used to calculate the total value of a function between two points on a graph.

2. How do you evaluate an integral?

The process of evaluating an integral involves finding the antiderivative of a function and then plugging in the upper and lower limits of integration to find the area under the curve. This can be done using various integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution.

3. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific upper and lower limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. This means that a definite integral will give you a numerical value, while an indefinite integral gives you a function.

4. Why is evaluating integrals important?

Integrals are used in many areas of science and engineering to solve real-world problems. They are particularly useful in physics for calculating quantities such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration. They can also be used in economics to calculate total revenue and total cost.

5. What is the relationship between the integral and the derivative?

The integral and the derivative are inverse operations of each other. This means that the integral of a function is the derivative of its antiderivative. In other words, if you take the derivative of an integral, you will get back the original function. This relationship is known as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.