Can the singularity at the center affect the evaluation of this 2D integration?

In summary: Thank you very much for your reply Tim. I understand your rationale on the integration. However, I think the key is about the singularity at the center. For the rationale you mentioned, the 2d delta function looks like satisfy what you mentioned too, but the integration is not 0.
shaleba
1. The problem:
I came up to this integration and noticed that it contains singularity at the center (x,y)=(0,0).
[tex] \iint\limits_D \frac{x^2-y^2}{(x^2+y^2)^2} dxdy[/tex]

Note that the integration domain is a unit circle centered at the origin.

I was thinking that the maybe the integral could be evaluated through the polar coordinate. So I used the follows:

Homework Equations

[tex] x^2 +y^2 = r^2 [/tex]
[tex] x= r \cdot cos(\theta), y= r \cdot sin(\theta) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In that case the integration was transformed to the following integration:
[tex] \int_0^1 \frac{1}{r}dr \cdot \int_0^{2\pi}(cos^2(\theta)-sin^2(\theta))d\theta[/tex]

Evaluation of the first term still includes a singular point with r=0, while the second term gives 0. However, looks like there is a finite value for this integration which is not 0.

Can anybody helps me out on this? Thanks very much.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi shaleba! welcome to pf! :smile:

by interchanging x and y (or x and -y) in the original integral, the integral (if it is finite) is obviously 0 for any region symmetric about the lines x = y or x = -y

in particular, it's 0 for any ring around the origin
shaleba said:
… Evaluation of the first term still includes a singular point with r=0, while the second term gives 0. However, looks like there is a finite value for this integration which is not 0.

why do you say it looks like there is a finite value?

since it's the equivalent of 1 - 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 - … , i suppose it depends exactly how you define the integral :confused:

Thank you very much for your reply Tim.
I understand your rationale on the integration. However, I think the key is about the singularity at the center.

For the rationale you mentioned, the 2d delta function looks like satisfy what you mentioned too, but the integration is not 0.

The reason I think it's a finite but not 0, is because this integral appears in one paper and looks like not equal to 0. They didn't show details about evaluating it.

tiny-tim said:
hi shaleba! welcome to pf! :smile:

by interchanging x and y (or x and -y) in the original integral, the integral (if it is finite) is obviously 0 for any region symmetric about the lines x = y or x = -y

in particular, it's 0 for any ring around the origin

why do you say it looks like there is a finite value?

since it's the equivalent of 1 - 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 - … , i suppose it depends exactly how you define the integral :confused:

shaleba said:
For the rationale you mentioned, the 2d delta function looks like satisfy what you mentioned too, but the integration is not 0.

what delta function? :confused:
The reason I think it's a finite but not 0, is because this integral appears in one paper and looks like not equal to 0. They didn't show details about evaluating it.

which book?

the integral is a two-dimensional limit, and its value depends how you define the approach to that limit

if you define it the obvious way, the integral is 0

but you can define it so as to give*the integral any value

shaleba said:
1. The problem:
I came up to this integration and noticed that it contains singularity at the center (x,y)=(0,0).
[tex] \iint\limits_D \frac{x^2-y^2}{(x^2+y^2)^2} dxdy[/tex]

Note that the integration domain is a unit circle centered at the origin.

I was thinking that the maybe the integral could be evaluated through the polar coordinate. So I used the follows:

Homework Equations

[tex] x^2 +y^2 = r^2 [/tex]
[tex] x= r \cdot cos(\theta), y= r \cdot sin(\theta) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In that case the integration was transformed to the following integration:
[tex] \int_0^1 \frac{1}{r}dr \cdot \int_0^{2\pi}(cos^2(\theta)-sin^2(\theta))d\theta[/tex]
Evaluation of the first term still includes a singular point with r=0, while the second term gives 0. However, looks like there is a finite value for this integration which is not 0.

Can anybody helps me out on this? Thanks very much.
[/quote]
As I see it:

Your integration of f(r,θ) wrt theta first gave zero and you're worried because the second integration wrt r blows up at r = 0.

But look at what happens to your function f(r,θ) = (cos2θ - sin2θ)/r2

integrated within a small circle about the origin:
lim r → 0 of f(r,θ)(πr2) = πg(θ) where g(θ) = cos2θ - sin2θ and πg(θ) is always between -π and +π so there is no singularity at r = 0.

So I would have to second the motion that the integral of f(r,θ) over the specified area is zero.

Shaleba,
in polar coordinates ##(x^2+y^2)^2=r^4## and the surface element ##dx dy## becomes ##r dr dθ##, so the integrand is ##(cos^2(θ)-sin^2(θ))/r^3=cos(2θ)/r^3##. Hence, the integral is the product of two terms: one depends on ##θ## only, the other depends on ##r## only. Can you find their values? What definition for an improper integral are you using?

Thanks for your reply. But looks like from the numerator [tex]x^2 -y^2 [/tex], there arises another [tex]r^2[/tex]
The [tex]\theta[/tex] term looks like to be 0 while the other term is singular.

Coelum said:
Shaleba,
in polar coordinates ##(x^2+y^2)^2=r^4## and the surface element ##dx dy## becomes ##r dr dθ##, so the integrand is ##(cos^2(θ)-sin^2(θ))/r^3=cos(2θ)/r^3##. Hence, the integral is the product of two terms: one depends on ##θ## only, the other depends on ##r## only. Can you find their values? What definition for an improper integral are you using?

thanks for reply. the Delta function I mentioned is the Dirac delta function.

tiny-tim said:
what delta function? :confused:

which book?

the integral is a two-dimensional limit, and its value depends how you define the approach to that limit

if you define it the obvious way, the integral is 0

but you can define it so as to give*the integral any value

ahh!
shaleba said:
I understand your rationale on the integration. However, I think the key is about the singularity at the center.

no, because the dirac delta function (btw, technically it's a distribution, not a function, but that doesn't matter here) is always positive,

and you can always change the order of any positive sum (or integral)

the difficulty with the given function is that it's alternately positive and negative in the four sectors round the origin, so the order in which you take the limits does matter :wink:

1. What is "Evaluate the Integration"?

"Evaluate the integration" refers to the process of assessing and determining the effectiveness and success of integrating different systems, processes, or technologies in a particular context.

2. Why is evaluating integration important?

Evaluating integration helps to identify any potential issues or challenges that may arise from the integration, and allows for adjustments to be made to improve the integration process. It also helps to measure the impact and benefits of the integration on the overall system or organization.

3. What are the steps involved in evaluating integration?

The steps involved in evaluating integration may vary depending on the context, but generally include defining the goals and objectives of the integration, collecting and analyzing data, identifying key performance indicators, and interpreting the results to make informed decisions.

4. What are some common challenges in evaluating integration?

Some common challenges in evaluating integration include lack of clear goals and objectives, difficulty in collecting and analyzing data, and limited resources for conducting the evaluation. Additionally, the complexity of the integration and potential resistance from stakeholders can also pose challenges.

5. How can the results of evaluating integration be used?

The results of evaluating integration can be used to make informed decisions about the integration process, identify areas for improvement, and assess the overall effectiveness and success of the integration. The results can also inform future integration efforts and help to optimize the integration process.