1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluate the limit

1. Nov 5, 2004 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can someone see how to do this? Here's what I have so far

Evaluate

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1}\frac{\sqrt[3]{x}-1}{x-1} [/tex]

This is an indeterminate form [itex]\frac{0}{0}[/itex]. Let's multiply by the conjugate 2 times.

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1}\frac{\sqrt[3]{x}-1}{x-1} = \lim_{x\rightarrow 1}\frac{\sqrt[3]{x}-1}{x-1} \frac{\sqrt[3]{x}+1}{\sqrt[3]{x}+1}\frac{\sqrt[3]{x}+1}{\sqrt[3]{x}+1} = \lim_{x\rightarrow 1}\frac{(x-1)+\sqrt[3]{x^2}-\sqrt[3]{x}}{(x-1)(\sqrt[3]{x}+1)^2}[/tex]

I have tried going farther, setting [itex]y = \sqrt[3]{x}[/itex] but it's not coming to anything.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2004 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Making the substitution [itex]y = \sqrt[3]{x}[/itex] is the right idea.

Notice y=1 is a root of [itex]y^3-1[/itex]. See if you can factor out (y-1).
    It'll give an expression that is probably familiar.

4. Nov 5, 2004 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In terms of y, it's

[tex]\frac{y^3+y^2-y-1}{(y^3-1)(y+1)^2}[/tex]

or

[tex]\frac{(y^2-1)(y+1)}{(y^3-1)(y+1)^2} = \frac{(y^2-1)}{(y^3-1)(y+1)}[/tex]

I really don't see how to progress from there. :confused:

5. Nov 5, 2004 #4
    Don't bother rationalizing it. Just make the substitution straight off.

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1}\frac{\sqrt[3]{x}-1}{x-1} = \lim_{y \to 1} \frac{y - 1}{y^3 - 1}[/tex]

--Justin

6. Nov 5, 2004 #5

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm afraid this isn't inspiring me much more.

7. Nov 5, 2004 #6
    Can you factor [itex]y^3 - 1[/itex] such that something cancels? Heck, there's only one way to factor [itex]y^3 - 1[/itex] either way, so why don't you give it a shot?

After you factor and cancel, does the indeterminance issue remain?

--Justin

8. Nov 5, 2004 #7

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry, I was sure I had tried that before but that it led to nothing. Actually I had but I'd made a mistake in the division. Anyway, thanks a lot.

9. Nov 5, 2004 #8
    From your post #3,
    [tex]\frac{(y^2-1)(y+1)}{(y^3-1)(y+1)^2} = \frac{(y^2-1)}{(y^3-1)(y+1)}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{(y+1)(y-1)}{(y-1)(y^2+y+1)(y+1)}[/tex]

10. Nov 5, 2004 #9

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

:smile:

(I have to type something)

11. Nov 5, 2004 #10
    Use L'Hopital's Rule

No, no, no! Use L'Hopital's Rule. Whenever a limit is such that an expression becomes an indeterminate form, you should use L'Hopital's Rule, which states that:

[tex]f(a)=g(a)=0\Rightarrow\lim_{x\rightarrow a}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \lim_{x\rightarrow a}\frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)}[/tex]

What this means is that if you do get an indeterminate form, just differentiate the top and bottom of the fraction, and then try the value of the limit. If it is still an indeterminate form, just keep on differentiating (but this works only if it is an indeterminate form) and trying the value of the limit.

In your case

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1}\frac{\sqrt[3]{x}-1}{x-1} = \lim_{x\rightarrow 1}3x^{-2/3} = 3(1)^{-2/3} = \frac{1}{3}[/tex]

which is indeed the correct answer. I am too a university physics student ("college" in America), but I learnt this at what we call college (which is basically the course of study before you start university).

Any further questions?

Masud.

12. Nov 5, 2004 #11

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I thank you for pointing that out but I should have mentionned that I was not allowed to use L'Hospital's rule yet. This is for an analysis class, not a calculus class, and we haven't gotten to derivatives yet.

I'm sure I'll soon have a lot of further questions though. :wink:

I'll post them here in the next few days if you'd like to help.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?