1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluate the line integral

1. Dec 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex] \int xydx+ 4ydy[/tex]
    where C is the curve from (1,2) to (3,5) made up of the twoline segments parallel to the coordinate axes.
    [tex]c_1:(1,2)\rightarrow(3,2)[/tex]
    [tex]c_2:(3,2)\rightarrow(3,5)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    i got c2 correct, y=2+3t, and x = 0, for t goes from 0 to 1.
    but i got c1 wrong, for c1, i see only x is changing, x=1+2t. so x'(t)= 2. if y value is not changing, it means that dy=0, my professor had y=1, by setting 2xy=2x, i guess 2xy is the first half of the initial integral by replacing dx with 2, but i dont understand what is 2x on the right side of the equation.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2015 #2
    Hi qq:

I don't understand why you introduce the t variable unless it is that you are used to doing that in general for arbitrary curves. I also don't understand why you use t=0 and t= 1 as the limits. For this particular problem I suggest you write down the integrals with the limits specified for both c1 and c2. Since y is constant for c1 and x is constant for c2, these two integrals should be easy to integrate.

Hope t his helps.

Regards,
    Buzz

4. Dec 16, 2015 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##\int xy\, dx## with y constant is ## y \int x\, dx##. For the first leg that means the same as xy = 2x and you calculate ##2\int_1^3 x\, dx##.

If you want to end up with an ##\int_0^1## ( a sort of parametrization that isn't really necessary here, as BB explains), you substitute t = (x-1)/2 so dt = dx/2 to get ##2 \int_0^1 2(1+2t) \, dt ##

same result :rolleyes:

--

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted