1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluate the sum

1. Dec 15, 2012 #1

sharks

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    $$\sum_{i=1}^{m} \sum_{j=1}^{n}[2(x_i-x_{i-1})-3(y_j-y_{j-1})]$$

2. Relevant equations
    Multiple-sigma notation.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I agree this seems like basic summation stuff, but i do not agree with the given answer. So, here is what i've done.

$$\sum_{i=1}^{m} \sum_{j=1}^{n}[2(x_i-x_{i-1})-3(y_j-y_{j-1})]
    \\=2\sum_{i=1}^{m} (x_i-x_{i-1})-3\sum_{j=1}^{n}(y_j-y_{j-1})
    \\=2(x_m-x_0)-3(y_n-y_0)$$

However, the given answer for this problem is:
    $$2n(x_m-x_0)-3m(y_n-y_0)$$

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2012 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Do you know what the partition of the interval is? Was there an interval given in the question?

4. Dec 15, 2012 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The terms that are indexed with i are independent of j. So when you apply the j sum they will get added to themselves n times. So they will pick up a factor of n. Similarly for the terms indexed with j.

5. Dec 15, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You're skipping some steps above.

After the first line you should have this:
    $$ \sum_{i=1}^{m} \left(\sum_{j=1}^{n}[2(x_i-x_{i-1}] - \sum_{j=1}^{n}[3(y_j-y_{j-1})]\right)$$
    The first sum isn't affected by j, so will simplify to n * the expression being summed. Something similar happens for the outer summation.

6. Dec 15, 2012 #5

sharks

Gold Member

Yes, there are two intervals given, but in this case, the answer still wouldn't be correct, so i omitted that part from the stated problem in the 1st post. Anyway, here they are:

Let ##P_1 = \{ x_0, x_1, x_2,..., x_m \} ## be a partition of ##[a_1, a_2]##
    Let ##P_2 = \{ y_0, y_1, y_2,..., y_n \} ## be a partition of ##[b_1, b_2]##

That just cleared up all my confusion! Clear and concise explanation. Thanks, Dick!

I had intentionally skipped those steps, as all the terms in i are independent of j, and all the terms in j are independent of i. So, in the expansion, i had wrongly assumed that expanding all the i terms with respect to j and all the j terms with respect to i, would give 1. Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook