Evaluate the triple integral

In summary, the triple integral being evaluated is for the volume of a solid bounded by a cylinder and three planes in the first octant. It is suggested to use spherical coordinates for integration, with the bounds being 0 to sqrt(576) for rho, 0 to pi/2 for phi, and 0 to arctan(4) for theta.
Pete_01

Homework Statement

Evaluate the triple integral where E is the solid bounded by the cylinder y^2+ z^2 = 576 and the planes x = 0, y = 4 x and z =0 in the first octant.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I figure that by solving for z I can get the bounds, so between 0 to sqrt(576-y^2) would be the z upper and lower bounds. X bounds would be between 0 and 24? And I am not sure about y.

Physics news on Phys.org
I presume you mean "the triple integral for the volume"- i.e. just integrate dV= dxdydz over that region. Otherwise you haven't said what it is you want to integrate! I think, because of the spherical symmetry here, using spherical coordinates would be best. Obviously [itex]\rho[/itex] will go from 0 to [itex]\sqrt{576}= 24[/itex], [itex]\phi[/itex] from 0 to [itex]\pi/2[/itex] and, since y= 4x has slope 4, [itex]\theta[/itex] will go from 0 to arctan(4).

What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is an extension of a regular integral, which calculates the area under a curve in two dimensions. In a triple integral, we are calculating the volume under a surface in three dimensions.

What is the general formula for a triple integral?

The general formula for a triple integral is ∭f(x,y,z) dV, where f(x,y,z) is the function being integrated and dV represents the infinitesimal volume element.

How do you evaluate a triple integral?

To evaluate a triple integral, we first need to determine the limits of integration for each variable. Then, we can use various integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions to solve the integral. Finally, we can plug in the limits of integration and calculate the final answer.

What are the applications of triple integrals?

Triple integrals have many applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. They are used to calculate the volume of irregular shapes, the mass and center of mass of objects, and the probability of events in probability theory.

What are some common mistakes when evaluating a triple integral?

Some common mistakes when evaluating a triple integral include forgetting to change the limits of integration when using different coordinate systems, using the wrong integration technique, and making calculation errors. It is important to double-check the work and be mindful of the units involved in the problem.