1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluate the triple integral

Tags:
  1. Oct 21, 2015 #1
    Evaluate the triple integral ∫∫∫E 5x dV, where E is bounded by the paraboloid
    x = 5y2+ 5z2 and the plane x = 5.

My work so far:
    Since it's a paraboloid, where each cross section parallel to the plane x = 5 is a circle, cylindrical polars is what I used, so my bounds are 5y2+5z2 ≤x ≤ 5 -----> 5r2 ≤ x ≤ 5, since each cross-section is a full circle 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π. Also, when x=0, y2 + z2=0 -----> r=0 and x=5 -----> y2+z2=1 -----> r=1, so my bounds for r are 0 ≤r ≤ 1.

My triple integral is then:
    ∫∫∫E 5x dV = ∫(from 0 to 2π) ∫(from 0 to 1) ∫(from 5r2 to 5) 5xr dx dr dθ

I keep getting the wrong answer after evaluating it

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What answer do you get when you evaluate it? What do you think is the correct answer?

4. Oct 22, 2015 #3
    Your domain of integration is ##E=\{(x,y,z) \in\mathbb{R}^3, \ 0\le x \le 5, 0\le y^2 + z^2 \le x/5\}##

If you sketch what it looks like, you'll see that a natural change of variable is ##(x,y,z) = \phi(x',\rho,\theta) = (x', \rho \cos\theta, \rho \sin\theta) ##, with ##\rho > 0## and ##\theta \in [0,2\pi[## to make it bijective except for the points on the ##x## axis.

Then, your reciprocal domain is ##\phi^{-1}(E) = \{ 0\le x' \le 5,\ 0<\rho\le \sqrt{x'/5}, \ 0\le \theta < 2\pi \} ##

5. Oct 22, 2015 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Please don't delete the three parts of the homework template. Its use is required.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted