1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluate this double integral

1. Nov 9, 2014 #1

utkarshakash

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate the integral by changing into polar coordinates.
    [itex] \displaystyle \int_0^{4a} \int_{y^2/4a}^y \dfrac{x^2-y^2}{x^2+y^2} dx dy [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Substituting x=rcos theta and y=rsin theta , the integrand changes to [itex]cos 2 \theta r dr d \theta [/itex] . I know that the region of integration is the area bounded by parabola y^2=4ax and y=x. However, I don't know the limits of r and theta.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps you should not use ##x = r \cos \theta, \: y = r \sin \theta##. Why would you not just do the inner x-integration first, then do the y-integration?

4. Nov 9, 2014 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you drawn a picture of that region? Have you written the equation of that parabola in polar coordinates? You need to do both. Then think of a point inside the region. It will move from ##r=0## to ##r## on the parabola. Once you draw that you should be able to see what values ##\theta## must vary between.

5. Nov 10, 2014 #4

utkarshakash

Gold Member

Because I'm required to solve it by changing into polar coordinates.

6. Nov 10, 2014 #5

utkarshakash

Gold Member

The polar equation of given parabola will be ##r=-2a/(1+cos \theta)##. The limit of theta is pi/4 to pi/2. Integrating the expression wrt r i'm left with ##\int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/2} \dfrac{-2a cos 2 \theta}{1+cos \theta} d \theta ##

7. Nov 10, 2014 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It looks like you have figured out the limits now, but I don't get the same equation for the parabola. Surely ##r## shouldn't be negative. And let's see the double integral after you have put it in polar coordinates and before you integrate it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted