How Can I Evaluate the Infinite Series (1/y!) for y = 0 to Infinity?

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem from a statistics course, but is having trouble understanding how to evaluate an infinite series. They ask for help, and I explain that 1=1^y provided y is finite, but when y can be infinite, 1=1^∞ is not the same.
kingwinner

Homework Statement

How can I compute

∑ (1 / y!) ?
y=0

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

In the middle of a problem from a statistics course, I got this series and forgot how to evaluate an infinite series in general and in particular this one...Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is exp(1) or e.

Why? How did you get that?

That's just the definition of e!

Definition? Maybe, but not a fundamental one.

OP
Not sure why you can't just start summing it up. What do you get? You should be able to see convergence in less then 10 terms.

Do you know anything about Taylor's series?

Yes, I know Taylor series, but I've done it quite a while ago...

∑ (1 / y!)
y=0

∑ (1^y / y!) = e^1
y=0

Is the first series equal to the second one?
In other words, can I replace 1 by 1^y in the summand?
Here there is an ∞ involved, and I have heard that 1^∞ is an indeterminant form, so 1^∞ is not the same as 1. So after all can we still replace 1 by 1^y in the infinite series above?

No there is no "[itex]\infty[/itex]" involved. That notation only means that y takes on all non-negative integer values. It is never actually equal to infinity!

HallsofIvy said:
No there is no "[itex]\infty[/itex]" involved. That notation only means that y takes on all non-negative integer values. It is never actually equal to infinity!

Um...why is it never infinity?
I have no trouble understanding that 1=1^y provided that y is finite, but when y can be infinite...how can 1=1^y=1^∞?

Because y has to be an integer. "infinity" is not an integer (or even a real or complex number).
[tex]\sum_{i= 0}^\infty a_i[/tex]
is defined as
[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \sum_{i=0}^n a_i[/tex]
which is a limit and also does not have i or n equal to "infinity" at any point.

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a sum of an infinite number of terms. Each term in the series is added together in a specific order to determine the total sum.

2. How do you evaluate an infinite series?

To evaluate an infinite series, you must determine whether the series converges (approaches a finite value) or diverges (approaches infinity). This can be done by using various mathematical tests such as the ratio test, comparison test, or integral test.

3. What is the purpose of evaluating infinite series?

The purpose of evaluating infinite series is to determine the sum of the series. This can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance, where infinite series are used to model real-world phenomena.

4. Are there any strategies for evaluating infinite series?

Yes, there are various strategies for evaluating infinite series, such as using algebraic manipulations, finding patterns in the series, or using known formulas for common types of series such as geometric or harmonic series.

5. Can an infinite series have more than one sum?

No, an infinite series can only have one sum. If the series converges, then it will have a finite sum. If the series diverges, it will not have a sum at all. However, some series may require advanced mathematical concepts, such as complex analysis, to determine their exact sum.