Integrating a trigonometric integral with multiple variables

• Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
Oh, I ignored the denominator when I applied the property ! :redface:However, when you integrate by parts, you can also divide both sides by cos4x, and then take tan2(x) = t. This will simplify the integrand to a mere identity. ;)Yes. I too figured out that way. But I was wondering if it can be done with just one integration by parts. It seems it can't be done with just one integration by parts.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

[itex] \displaystyle \int^{\pi /2}_0 \dfrac{xcosxsinx}{(a^2 cos^2 x+b^2 sin^2 x)^2} dx [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

2I = [itex] \displaystyle \int^{\pi /2}_0 \dfrac{xcosxsinx}{(a^2 cos^2 x+b^2 sin^2 x)^2} + \dfrac{(\pi /2 -x)cosxsinx}{(a^2 sin^2 x+b^2 cos^2 x)^2} dx [/itex]

How to simplify after this?

Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

[itex] \displaystyle \int^{\pi /2}_0 \dfrac{xcosxsinx}{(a^2 cos^2 x+b^2 sin^2 x)^2} dx [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

2I = [itex] \displaystyle \int^{\pi /2}_0 \dfrac{xcosxsinx}{(a^2 cos^2 x+b^2 sin^2 x)^2} + \dfrac{(\pi /2 -x)cosxsinx}{(a^2 sin^2 x+b^2 cos^2 x)^2} dx [/itex]

How to simplify after this?

I couldn't think of a smarter way but the following should work.

You can write the given integral as
[tex]\int_0^{\pi/2} \frac{x\tan x \sec^2x}{(a^2+b^2\tan^2x)^2}dx[/tex]
Use the substitution ##\tan x=t## and then integrate by parts.

And what about your previous thread? Did you get the answer? :rolleyes:

^Are you trying to get the antiderivative? It is easy to get rid of the x in front by integrating by parts, but the new integral is hard. Perhaps the bounds can be used, but the a and b break the symmetry.

lurflurf said:
^Are you trying to get the antiderivative? It is easy to get rid of the x in front by integrating by parts, but the new integral is hard. Perhaps the bounds can be used, but the a and b break the symmetry.

Yes, I am trying to find the antiderivative. The new integral isn't hard but only a bit lengthy (I think).

The new integral after substitution,
[tex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{\arctan t\cdot t}{(a^2+b^2t^2)^2}dt[/tex]

This can be solved using integration by parts.

Pranav-Arora said:
I couldn't think of a smarter way but the following should work.

You can write the given integral as
[tex]\int_0^{\pi/2} \frac{x\tan x \sec^2x}{(a^2+b^2\tan^2x)^2}dx[/tex]
Use the substitution ##\tan x=t## and then integrate by parts.

And what about your previous thread? Did you get the answer? :rolleyes:

Yes I got the answer of previous question.

I found a shorter method.

Solve the given integral using integration by parts with ##u=x## and ##v## be the rest i.e
[tex]x\int \frac{\sin x \cos x}{(a^2\cos^2x+b^2\sin^2x)^2}dx-\int \left(\int \frac{\sin x \cos x}{(a^2\cos^2x+b^2\sin^2x)^2}dx\right)dx[/tex]

Use the substitution, ##(a^2\cos^2x+b^2\sin^2x)=t## that should give the answer.

utkarshakash said:
Yes I got the answer of previous question.

This question is very easy by utkarshakash's method but he got afraid to see the big size of his integrand. :p

I too at first thought would use his method.

After simplifying you get,

2I=...This will eliminate x. No need to integrate by parts. :)

Hint: Then use the substitution as Pranav suggested. Take sqrt(denominator)=t...

Last edited:
sankalpmittal said:
This will eliminate x.

No. How do you conclude that?

Pranav-Arora said:
No. How do you conclude that?

Isn't is obvious ?

Let

I=π/20∫{xcosxsinx}/{(a2 cos2 x+b2 sin2 x)2} dx

Then applying the property of definite integration,

I=π/20∫{(π/2-x)cosxsinx}/{(a2 cos2 x+b2 sin2 x)2} dx

On adding,

2I= I=π/20∫{π/2cosxsinx}/{(a2 cos2 x+b2 sin2 x)2} dx

Now take, a2 cos2 x+b2 sin2 x=t

sankalpmittal said:
Then applying the property of definite integration,

I=π/20∫{(π/2-x)cosxsinx}/{(a2 cos2 x+b2 sin2 x)2} dx

[tex]\cos(\pi/2-x)=\sin x[/tex]

Last edited:
Pranav-Arora said:
[tex]\cos(\pi/2-x)=\sin x[/tex]

So what ?

cos x changes to sin x but sin x also changes to cos x. The net result remains, what I typed in my previous post. I have done such type of questions.

sankalpmittal said:
So what ?

cos x changes to sin x but sin x also changes to cos x. The net result remains, what I typed in my previous post. I have done such type of questions.

You ignored the denominator when you applied the property.

sankalpmittal said:
So what ?

No. You are going the wrong way. Note that though cos x and sin x interchange, the coefficents are also reversed. [itex] a^2 cos^2 x + b^2 sin^2 x[/itex] changes to [itex] a^2 sin^2 x + b^2 cos^2 x[/itex]. Now you can't just add the numerator simply. You know what I mean.

utkarshakash said:
No. You are going the wrong way. Note that though cos x and sin x interchange, the coefficents are also reversed. [itex] a^2 cos^2 x + b^2 sin^2 x[/itex] changes to [itex] a^2 sin^2 x + b^2 cos^2 x[/itex]. Now you can't just add the numerator simply. You know what I mean.

Did you arrive at the answer? :smile:

Pranav-Arora said:
Did you arrive at the answer? :smile:

I got the answer by your method. Thanks!

utkarshakash said:
I got the answer by your method. Thanks!

Glad to help!

utkarshakash said:

Oh, I ignored the denominator when I applied the property ! :redface:

However, when you integrate by parts, you can also divide both sides by cos4x, and then take tan2(x) = t. This will simplify the integrand to a mere identity.

1. What is the purpose of integrating a trigonometric integral with multiple variables?

The purpose of integrating a trigonometric integral with multiple variables is to find the exact value of the integral, which represents the area under the curve of a trigonometric function with more than one variable. This can be useful in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, calculus, and signal processing.

2. What are the basic steps involved in integrating a trigonometric integral with multiple variables?

The basic steps for integrating a trigonometric integral with multiple variables involve identifying the limits of integration, determining the appropriate trigonometric identities to simplify the integral, and using integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts to evaluate the integral.

3. Can trigonometric integrals with multiple variables be solved analytically or numerically?

Trigonometric integrals with multiple variables can be solved both analytically and numerically. Analytical solutions involve finding a closed-form expression for the integral, while numerical solutions involve using numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule to approximate the integral's value.

4. Are there any special cases or exceptions when integrating a trigonometric integral with multiple variables?

Yes, there are some special cases and exceptions when integrating a trigonometric integral with multiple variables. These include integrals with infinite limits of integration, integrals with discontinuities or singularities in the integrand, and integrals with complex trigonometric functions.

5. What are some applications of integrating trigonometric integrals with multiple variables in real-world problems?

Integrating trigonometric integrals with multiple variables has many applications in real-world problems. It is commonly used in physics to calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects in motion, in engineering to analyze oscillatory systems and signal processing, and in mathematics to solve differential equations involving trigonometric functions.