1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating a cot integral

1. Nov 28, 2005 #1
    I have the question Evaluate [tex]\int_{Pi/4}^{Pi/8}_cot^2{2x}dx[/tex]
    So integrating this should (I hope) give [tex][\frac{-1}{2}cot{2x}-x][/tex] for those limits.
    But I have never evaluated the cot integral before, I know that cotx=1/tanx. Do I substitute this identity in and work from there?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You could but I suspect that [itex]\frac{1}{tan^2 x}[/itex] would not be easy to integrate. How about just [itex]cot(2x)= \frac{cos 2x}{sin 2x}[/itex]?

[tex]\int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/8}cot^2(2x)dx= \int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/8}\frac{cos^2(2x)}{sin^2(2x)}dx[/tex].

Since those are even powers you will need to use trig indentities to reduce them. By the way is there a reason for integrating from a larger value of x to a smaller?

4. Nov 29, 2005 #3
    Ah that was a mistake, the x values should be the other way around.

So would [tex]\int_{\pi/8}^{\pi/4}cot^2(2x)dx= \int_{\pi/8}^{\pi/4}\frac{cos^2(2x)}{sin^2(2x)}dx[/tex] integrate to [tex]\frac{\frac{1}{2}sin^2(2x)}{\frac{-1}{2}cos^2(2x)}[/tex] ? Which I assume would simplify to [tex]-tan^2_(2x)[/tex]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  5. Nov 29, 2005 #4

TD

Homework Helper

Unfortunately not, but use the fact that [itex]\cos ^2 \alpha + \sin ^2 \alpha = 1[/itex] on:

[tex]\int {\frac{{\cos ^2 \left( {2x} \right)}}{{\sin ^2 \left( {2x} \right)}}dx} = \int {\frac{{1 - \sin ^2 \left( {2x} \right)}}{{\sin ^2 \left( {2x} \right)}}dx} [/tex]

Then split the integral in two.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?