1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Evaluating a cot integral

1. Nov 28, 2005 #1
    I have the question Evaluate [tex]\int_{Pi/4}^{Pi/8}_cot^2{2x}dx[/tex]
    So integrating this should (I hope) give [tex][\frac{-1}{2}cot{2x}-x][/tex] for those limits.
    But I have never evaluated the cot integral before, I know that cotx=1/tanx. Do I substitute this identity in and work from there?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

You could but I suspect that [itex]\frac{1}{tan^2 x}[/itex] would not be easy to integrate. How about just [itex]cot(2x)= \frac{cos 2x}{sin 2x}[/itex]?

[tex]\int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/8}cot^2(2x)dx= \int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/8}\frac{cos^2(2x)}{sin^2(2x)}dx[/tex].

Since those are even powers you will need to use trig indentities to reduce them. By the way is there a reason for integrating from a larger value of x to a smaller?

4. Nov 29, 2005 #3
    Ah that was a mistake, the x values should be the other way around.

So would [tex]\int_{\pi/8}^{\pi/4}cot^2(2x)dx= \int_{\pi/8}^{\pi/4}\frac{cos^2(2x)}{sin^2(2x)}dx[/tex] integrate to [tex]\frac{\frac{1}{2}sin^2(2x)}{\frac{-1}{2}cos^2(2x)}[/tex] ? Which I assume would simplify to [tex]-tan^2_(2x)[/tex]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  5. Nov 29, 2005 #4

TD

Homework Helper

Unfortunately not, but use the fact that [itex]\cos ^2 \alpha + \sin ^2 \alpha = 1[/itex] on:

[tex]\int {\frac{{\cos ^2 \left( {2x} \right)}}{{\sin ^2 \left( {2x} \right)}}dx} = \int {\frac{{1 - \sin ^2 \left( {2x} \right)}}{{\sin ^2 \left( {2x} \right)}}dx} [/tex]

Then split the integral in two.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook