1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating a double integral

1. Jul 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given the integral shown (in attachment), make a sketch of the region of integration, express the integral with the order of integration reversed and evaluate the integral after reversing the order of integration

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So i got the limits as y<= x <= 1 and 0 <= y <= 1

But for the function y^2 sin xy dxdy, how should i integrate that. Integration by parts would not work because v= 0 so the whole integral becomes 0. Should i just read it off the table of integrals. if i do that, the integral becomes -y^2cosxy dx rite?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2008 #2
    oh no, attachment pending approval. not again haha.
  4. Jul 14, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

As said before, if you want quick replies, just host it on imageshack.us or some other image-hosting web service.
  5. Jul 14, 2008 #4

but why do they need to be approved?
  6. Jul 14, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You seem to have done the same thing you did with the previous problem: your "inner" integral goes from x to 1 while the shaded area in your picture is below the line y= x.
  7. Jul 14, 2008 #6
    ohhh my god ur rite hallsofIvy thanks.

Alright, so the limits change but how do u evaluate that integral. Cant do it by parts cause of the reasons i mentioned.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?