1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating a double integral

1. Nov 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate over the x,y plane:
    ∫∫[itex]e^{-\sqrt{x^{2}+4y^{2}}}[/itex]dxdy
    And I know the answer SHOULD be [itex]\pi[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    Polar-->rectangular identities maybe?
    x--> rcos, y--> rsinθ, dxdy--> rdrdθ

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried using polar coordinates, but it doesn't simplify to something nice. When I did I got:
    ∫∫[itex]r*e^{-r*\sqrt{cosθ^{2}+4sinθ^{2}}}[/itex]drdθ
    But there isn't an identity that simplifies the exponent into something easier to handle

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[itex]\displaystyle\sqrt{x^{2}+4y^{2}}=r\sqrt{\cos^{2}( \theta)+4sin^{2}(\theta)}[/itex]

So that last integral should be [itex]\displaystyle\int\int r\, e^{r^2\sqrt{\cos^{2}( \theta)+4sin^{2}(\theta)}}dr\,d\theta[/itex]

4. Nov 7, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since the original integral is in xy coordinates, is that "r" a variable or a constant? Is r just short for [itex]\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}[/itex]?

5. Nov 7, 2011 #4
    The r I put inthe original shouldn't be there, my apologies.

6. Nov 7, 2011 #5
    What's with this something nice and easy to handle thing? That don't happen in the real world. Try and learn to muscle through things. Suppose I just write it as:

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}\left(\int_0^{\infty}re^{-ar}dr\right)d\theta,\quad a>0[/tex]

Can you do that part in parenthesis? Alright, then switch to:

[tex]a=\sqrt{\cos^2(t)+4\sin^2(t)}[/tex]

and muscle through that one. We can get rid of one of them right?

[tex]\cos^2(t)+4\sin^2(t)=1+3\sin^2(t)[/tex]

Then what about reducing it further with other trig identities?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  7. Nov 7, 2011 #6
    I ultimately wound up getting [itex]\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{1}{5-3cos(2\theta}d\theta[/itex]

Upon evaluating the integral I got [itex]\frac{1}{2}arctan(2tan(\theta))[/itex], evaluated between 0 and 2[itex]\pi[/itex], which is 0. But after splitting the boundaries at [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{3\pi}{2}[/itex], I got simply [itex]\pi[/itex] for an answer.

Thank you for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook