1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating a surface integral

1. Sep 18, 2013 #1
    Problem:

Use the fact that [tex]\int_S \vec{v} \cdot d\vec{S}=\int_S \vec{v} \cdot \frac{\nabla f}{\partial f/\partial x} dy\ dz[/tex]

to evaluate the integral for ##S=\{(x,y,z):y=x^2 ; 0 \geq x \geq 2; 0 \geq z \geq 3 \}## and ##\vec{v}=(3z^2, 6, 6xz)##.

Attempt at a Solution:

I'm having trouble setting up this integral. If I knew what ##f## was, I could easily calculate the gradient, as well as the partial wrt to x. I'd still need to figure out the limits of integration though.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2013 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

f(x,y,z) ought to be the scalar function describing the surface S through the relationship:
    f(x,y,z)=0

4. Sep 18, 2013 #3
    Hmm. I'm not sure you'd get this from the info given. Any hints?

5. Sep 18, 2013 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Because
    1. It fits. Sort of (I admit I haven't seen closely, though).
    2. Otherwise, it would be utterly meaningless, since you would have no way to evaluate the second expression due to lack of knowledge of f.

6. Sep 18, 2013 #5
    More specifically I meant, how would you find ##f## analytically from this info given?

7. Sep 18, 2013 #6

pasmith

Homework Helper

From here:

If [itex]y = x^2[/itex] then [itex]y - x^2 = 0[/itex].

(Your inequalities are the wrong way round: you want [itex]0 \leq x \leq 2[/itex] etc.)

8. Sep 18, 2013 #7
    So ##f(x,y,z)=y-x^2##?

9. Sep 18, 2013 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would parameterize the surface as ##\vec R(x,z)## and use the formula$$
    \iint \vec v\cdot d\vec S =\pm \iint_{x,z}\vec v \cdot \vec R_x\times \vec R_z~dxdz$$where the choice of signs depends on the orientation of the surface which, by the way, you need to specify.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted