1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating an infinite series

1. Mar 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]
    \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{sinn}{2^n}
    [/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    Definition of a geometric series:
    [tex]
    \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}x^n=\frac{1}{1-x}
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Basically I can use the geometric series idea and implement it into the denominator of the question (i.e. sub x=2 into the equation from part b and change the lower index to n=1)
    [tex]
    \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}2^n=\frac{1}{1-2}
    [/tex]

Taking the derivate of both sides:
    [tex]
    \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}n2^{n-1}=\frac{1}{(1-2)^2}
    [/tex]

Multiplying both sides by 2:
    [tex]
    \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}n2^n=\frac{2}{(1-2)^2}
    [/tex]

Of course I can simplify the question furthermore and get a single value as a result, my problem is I don't understand on how to incorporate the numerator (sin n) into the problem. Is my approach correct, or am I substituting the wrong x-value?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What exactly are you supposed to do with this series?

4. Mar 1, 2010 #3
    Suppose to solve for the overall sum I'm assuming, the question simply states "Find [tex]

\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{sinn}{2^n}

[/tex]."

5. Mar 1, 2010 #4
    There are two problems here:

(1) The equation you gave for the geometric series only works for |x| < 1.

(2) We can't simply change the lower index to n=1.

6. Mar 1, 2010 #5
    Well that was the only approach I could think of, any other method to solve this question? A starting tip/hint will suffice.

7. Mar 1, 2010 #6
    I'm also having some difficulty with the sine in the numerator - I haven't done something like this in a while.

What class is this for, by the way? (to give me an idea of methods you have)

-----

Also, if there is a solution with geometric series, the problems I pointed out can be fixed... you just need to be careful about what you use.

8. Mar 1, 2010 #7
    Calculus II (First year)

9. Mar 1, 2010 #8
    From what I can tell, you can change the lower index to n=1, but I assume I will have to check for convergence first, if the series does converge, I can move ahead with this method, if not, I will need an alternative.

10. Mar 1, 2010 #9
  11. Mar 1, 2010 #10
    I believe we haven't learned that yet unfortunately, however I have determined that the series is absolutely convergent via the comparison test. What r value can i use so [tex]
    |r| < 1
    [/tex], involved with the numerator as well? :S

12. Mar 1, 2010 #11
    Hrmmm... I don't know a solution if you can't use Euler's formula. Sorry.

(doesn't mean there isn't one, but I'm not seeing it)

13. Mar 1, 2010 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm with Mathnerdmo. It's pretty easy if you put r=exp(i)/2 and realize your sum is related to the imaginary part of sum(r^n). So |r|<1 and you can treat it as a geometric series. Are you sure you didn't do that in Calc I and just forgot it?

14. Mar 2, 2010 #13
    After skimming through some info on Euler's formula, I can substitute sinn= (e^in - e^(-in)) / 2i, I'm confused as to what you are trying to state, could you perhaps elaborate? How exactly did you derive with r = exp(i)/2?

15. Mar 2, 2010 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

exp(i)^n=exp(in)=cos(n)+i*sin(n). If you sum that series and take the imaginary part you get the sum of sin(n). What happens if you do the same thing with (exp(i)/2)^n?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook