Evaluating [C, D] Commutator for Derivative and Integral Operators

• Thread starter terp.asessed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Commutator
In summary, the commutator [C,D] is CD - DC. The attempt to solve the homework equation for [C,D] leads to values CDf(x)=-f(0), DCf(x)=-xd2f(x)/dx2, and [C,D]f(x)=-f(0).
terp.asessed

Homework Statement

I am practicing problems from the textbook, but have no idea how to get to some of the solutions available in the back of the textbook...

6-16. Evaluate the commutator [C,D] where C and D are given below:

(e) C = d2/dx2, D = x
(g) C = integral (x = 0 to infinite) dx, D = d/dx

Homework Equations

[C,D] = CD - DC

The Attempt at a Solution

e)
CDf(x) = C(xf(x)) = d2xf(x)/dx2 = 0 + xd2f(x)/dx2
DCf(x) = D(d2f(x)/dx2) =xd2f(x)/dx2

[C,D] = xd2f(x)/dx2 - xd2f(x)/dx2 is what I got, but the solution, according to the textbook is:

[C,D] = 2df(x)/dx...how do I get to here?

g)
CDf(x) = C(df(x)/dx) = integral (x=0 to infinite) df(x)/dx * dx = f(x) (integration from x = 0 to infinite)
DCf(x) = D(integral f(x)) = d/dx integral f(x)*dx...which is what? I am lost here...

Again, for this part, the solution is:
[C,D]f(x) = -f(0)...could someone explain how this value was hinted?

Physics news on Phys.org
(e) CDf = (xf)'' ... you made an error in the next two steps.
(g) p1. cancel the dx's inside the integral: ##\int_a^b df = ?##
p2. how does the definite integral result depend on x?

Likes terp.asessed
For (e),
## (CD-DC)f(x)= \left[\frac{d^2}{dx^2}x - x\frac{d^2}{dx^2}\right] f(x) ##
## = \frac{d^2}{dx^2}xf(x) - x\frac{d^2}{dx^2}f(x) ##
By product rule ## =\frac{d}{dx}(xf'(x)+f(x)) -xf''(x)##

Likes terp.asessed
(e) d2xf(x)/dx2 =d/dx(d/dx xf(x)) = d/dx (f(x) + xdf(x)/dx) = df(x)/dx +df(x)/dx + xd2f(x)/dx2
...so:
[C,D] = df(x)/dx +df(x)/dx + xd2f(x)/dx2 - xd2f(x)/dx2 = 2df(x)/dx---got it, thanks!

By the way, for (g),

Simon Bridge said:
(g) p1. cancel the dx's inside the integral: ##\int_a^b df = ?##
p2. how does the definite integral result depend on x?

As for (g)...so I guess I get integral (x = a to b) df = f (x= a to b) = b-a?

Also, by definite integral...could you clarify as to what does "definite integral" mean? An integral without any infinity?

For (g), where you have ##\frac{d}{dx} \int_0^\infty f(x) dx ##, you can think of a definite integral as a constant. Every f has an associated ##k_f=\int_0^\infty f(x) dx##. The fact that you are evaluating the interval at fixed points makes it definite. If the limit of integration were a function of x, you would have a different derivative of the integral.

Likes terp.asessed
Well done - note: Leibnitx notation is somewhat eyewatering in text, it is usually clearer to write, say,
CDf=(xf)'' = (f+xf')' = f' + (xf')' = 2f' + xf''.

... but this is where LaTeX comes into it's own.
$$CDF = \frac{d^2}{dx^2}xf = \frac{d}{dx}\left(f + x\frac{df}{dx}\right)$$

Likes terp.asessed
Okay! I have yet to use LaTex...which I have not yet figured out yet.

Aside back to (g):

is ABf(x) = f(x) - f(0) , for as you have so said, "integral df(x)/dx * dx" cancels out dx, making integral df(x)...which I have trouble thinking about.
Also, for BAf(x)...d/dx integral f(x)*dx, dx is not canceled out, so, I guess it would become something like f2(x)/2 over x=0 and x?

I am sorry, but I am really confused when there are no equations within the integral, which I am used to.

##\int_0 ^\infty \frac {d}{dx} f(x) dx = \int_0 ^\infty f'(x) dx = \left. f(x) \right|_0^\infty ##
Also you could look at
## \frac {d}{dx} \int_0 ^\infty f(x) dx = \lim_{x \to \infty } \frac {d}{dx} \int_0 ^x f(x) dx##

As for (g)...so I guess I get integral (x = a to b) df = f (x= a to b) = b-a?
Right ... but in your case the limits in the integral are for x, not f ... so how do you change variables in an integral?

Of course you could treat the integral as an antiderivative ...

What do you mean by?
terp.asessed said:
I am sorry, but I am really confused when there are no equations within the integral, which I am used to.
There are general rules for integrals.
For example:
## \int_a^b f'(x) dx = f(a)-f(b) ##
##\frac{d}{dx} \int_a^x f(x) dx = f(x) ##
You are not looking to evaluate f, you just need to know how the derivative and integral act upon each other.

Likes terp.asessed
You don't have to memorize more rules - you can just follow the definitions...

if ##g(x)=f'(x)##, then ##\int g(x)=f(x)+c## is the indefinite integral;
then ##\int_a^b g(x)\;dx = f(b)-f(a)## is the definite integral.

putting b=x in the definite integral would give f(x)-f(a) so I can do:
##\frac{d}{dx}\int_a^x g(x')\;dx' = \frac{d}{dx}\big(f(x)-f(a)\big) = f'(x) = g(x)##​

Note: ##\int_a^x g(x)\;dx## is sometimes considered an abuse of notation.

If you just treat the definite integral as a constant, you'd end up with $$\int_0^\infty \frac{d}{dx}f(x)\;dx - \frac{d}{dx}\int_0^\infty f(x)\;dx = [f(\infty)-f(0)] - 0$$... so unless you know that ##\lim_{x\to\infty}f(x)=## some specific value, you should consider writing the integral this way:
$$\int_0^\infty f(x)\;dx = \lim_{x\to\infty}\int_0^xf(x')\;dx'$$ ... the limit notation is sort-of implied by the integration notation.

You should already have done a lot of work on limits.

Likes terp.asessed
GOTCHA--I finally remember--thank you very much. I figured out everything!

1. What is a commutator?

A commutator is a mathematical operation that measures the extent to which two operations, C and D, do not commute. This means that the order in which the operations are performed affects the end result.

2. Why is it important to evaluate the commutator?

Evaluating the commutator is important because it allows us to understand the relationship between two operations. It can help us determine if the operations are compatible or if there are any underlying patterns or structures in the operations.

3. How is the commutator calculated?

The commutator is calculated by taking the difference between the operations in two different orders and dividing it by the product of the operations. This can be represented mathematically as [C, D] = (CD - DC)/CD.

4. What does a positive or negative commutator value indicate?

A positive commutator value indicates that the operations do not commute, meaning their order affects the end result. A negative commutator value indicates that the operations do commute, meaning their order does not affect the end result.

5. How is the commutator used in different fields of science?

The commutator has various applications in different fields of science, such as quantum mechanics, group theory, and differential equations. In quantum mechanics, it is used to understand the behavior of particles, in group theory it is used to study symmetry and transformations, and in differential equations it is used to analyze the behavior of systems.