How do you evaluate e^{\sqrt{i}} algebraically?

In summary, complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real and imaginary part, written in the form a + bi. To add or subtract complex numbers, combine the real and imaginary parts separately. The conjugate of a complex number is found by changing the sign between the real and imaginary parts. To multiply, use the FOIL method and to divide, multiply by the conjugate of the denominator. The absolute value (or modulus) of a complex number is its distance from the origin on the complex plane, found by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary parts.
Allday
How do you evaluate this expression algebraically.

[tex]
e^{\sqrt{i}}
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Since i=exp(i*pi/2), you can determine easily sqrt(i) in polar form, then in rectangular form: a+bi. Then you can evaluate exp(a+bi).

If you take [itex]i = e^{i \frac {pi}{2}}[/itex] then [itex]\sqrt i = e^{i \frac {pi}{4}}[/itex]. Just write it in trig form and put into your expression.

easy peasy. thanks

Not quite. Don't forget the second root exp[i(pi/4 + pi)].

Ahh yes, those pesky multiple values. That complex plane will eventually bend to my will.

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real and imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, and i is the imaginary unit equal to the square root of -1.

2. How do you add and subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, simply combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3+2i) + (5+4i) = (3+5) + (2i+4i) = 8 + 6i. To subtract, follow the same process but subtract the corresponding parts instead of adding them.

3. What is the conjugate of a complex number?

The conjugate of a complex number is found by changing the sign between the real and imaginary parts. For example, the conjugate of 4+3i is 4-3i. This is important in dividing complex numbers and simplifying expressions.

4. How do you multiply and divide complex numbers?

To multiply complex numbers, use the FOIL (First, Outer, Inner, Last) method. For example, (4+2i)(3+5i) = 12 + 20i + 6i + 10i^2 = 12 + 26i - 10 = 2 + 26i. To divide, multiply the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the denominator, then simplify.

5. What is the absolute value of a complex number?

The absolute value (or modulus) of a complex number is its distance from the origin on the complex plane. It is found by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary parts. For example, the absolute value of 4+3i is sqrt(4^2 + 3^2) = 5.