1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating expectation values

1. Aug 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[itex]f(x,y)=6a^{-5}xy^{2}[/itex] [itex]0≤x≤a[/itex] and [itex]0≤y≤a[/itex], [itex]0[/itex] elsewhere

Show that [itex]\overline{xy}=\overline{x}.\overline{y}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\overline{x}=\int^{∞}_{-∞}{x.f(x)dx}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]\overline{x}=\int^{∞}_{-∞}{x.f(x)dx}[/itex]
    [itex]=\int^{a}_{0}{x.6a^{-5}xy^{2}dx}[/itex]
    [itex]=6a^{-5}\int^{a}_{0}{x^{2}y^{2}dx}[/itex]
    [itex]=6a^{-5}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{3}a^{3}y^{2}[/itex]
    [itex]=2a^{-2}y^{2}[/itex]

Following the same proccess I get [itex]\overline{y}=\frac{3}{2}a^{-1}x^{2}[/itex]

But when it comes to [itex]\overline{xy}[/itex] I'm not really sure how to approach it

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2013 #2
    You found correcly x¯. Do the same for y and xy and complete your proof. What is your problem?

4. Aug 29, 2013 #3
    Sorry, I submitted the question to early and had to add the rest of the problem. I'm not sure what the [itex]\overline{xy}[/itex] integral should look like.

5. Aug 29, 2013 #4
    I tried [itex]\overline{xy}=\int^{∞}_{-∞}{x.y.f(x,y)dx}[/itex]
    [itex]=\int^{a}_{0}\int^{a}_{0}{x.y.6a^{-5}xy^{2}dx}[/itex]
    [itex]=\int^{a}_{0}\int^{a}_{0}{6a^{-5}x^{2}y^{3}dx}[/itex]
    [itex]=\frac{1}{2}a^{2}=/=\overline{x}.\overline{y}[/itex]

6. Aug 29, 2013 #5
    I tried

[itex]\overline{xy}=\int^{∞}_{-∞}{x.y.f(x,y)dx}[/itex]
    [itex]=\int^{a}_{0}\int^{a}_{0}{x.y.6a^{-5}xy^{2}dx}[/itex]
    [itex]=\int^{a}_{0}\int^{a}_{0}{6a^{-5}x^{2}y^{3}dx}[/itex]
    [itex]=\frac{1}{2}a^{2}[/itex]
    which does not equal [itex]\overline{x}.\overline{y}[/itex]

7. Aug 29, 2013 #6
    Your y¯ has a minor arithmetical mistake but you can find it. And for your major problem: d(xy) = ydx + xdy. Tell me when you have this ;)

Edit: It's not a double integral. It is one dimensional.

8. Aug 29, 2013 #7
    I see me mistake with [itex]\overline{y}[/itex], the x shouldn't be squared right?

If d(x,y)=xdy+ydx. Surely I end up with [itex]\int{xy.f(x,y)d(xy)}=\int{x^{2}y.f(x,y)dy}+\int{xy^{2}.f(x,y)dx}[/itex]
    And I still cant get that to equal [itex]\overline{x}.\overline{y}[/itex]

9. Aug 29, 2013 #8

statdad

Homework Helper

This is an expected value problem? Try evaluating
    [tex]
    \int_0^a \int_0^a xy f(x,y) \, dx dy
    [/tex]

again. This
    "And for your major problem: d(xy) = ydx + xdy."
    has nothing to do with the problem.

10. Aug 29, 2013 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The first thing you need to do is define your terms! Your "[itex]\overline{x}[/itex]" is "the mean value of x for fixed y" and for "[itex]\overline{y}[/itex]" is "the mean value of y for fixed x". Since the first is a function of y and the second a function of x, their product can't possibly be equal to [itex]\overline{xy}[/itex] which is a number.

11. Aug 29, 2013 #10
    I did this integral and got [itex]\frac{1}{2}a^{2}[/itex] which doesn't equal [itex]\overline{x}.\overline{y}[/itex] as I am trying to prove. The double integral will always eliminate the variables x and y from the equation. But [itex]\overline{x}.\overline{y}[/itex] has the variables in it.

How do I overcome this?

12. Aug 29, 2013 #11

CAF123

Gold Member

Your ##\overline{xy}## is correct, so your error is in evaluating ##\overline{x}## and ##\overline{y}##. An expectation calculation should return a number.

13. Aug 29, 2013 #12

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, which means that either your definitions (of [itex]\overline{x}[/itex], [itex]\overline{y}[/itex], and/or [itex]\overline{xy}[/itex] are wrong or [itex]\overline{x}\overline{y}[/itex] is NOT equal to [itex]\overline{xy}[/itex].

You might want to consider the possibility that the correct definition of [itex]\overline{u}[/itex] for any function u, of x and y, is [itex]\int\int u f(x,y)dydx[/itex] so that, in particular, [itex]\overline{x}= \int_0^a\int_0^a x f(x,y)dydx[/itex], NOT "[itex]\int_0^a xf(x,y)dx[/itex]".

(You also posted this under "precalculus homework". Do not do that. Double posting can get you banned.)

14. Aug 29, 2013 #13
    Using that definition of [itex]\overline{u}[/itex] I got them to equal one another :) Problem solved!
    And thanks for the warning about double posting, I won't be doing that again.

15. Aug 29, 2013 #14

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

The two threads have been merged. As HallsOfIvy noted, please post a question only once. If we think it really belongs in a different forum, we'll move it.

16. Aug 29, 2013 #15

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In addition to what others have said: I don't know if you have yet met with the concept of independence, but this problem fits that profile.

You can write your bivariate density f(x,y) as a product of two univariate densities g(x) and h(y):
    [tex] f(x,y) = 6a^{-5}xy^{2} = (2 a^{-2} x) ( 3 a^{-3} y^2) = g(x) h(y), 0 \leq x,y \leq a. [/tex]
    Here the individual factors ##g(x) = 2 a^{-2} x## and ##h(y) = 2 a^{-3} y^2## are both univariate probability densities of random variables ##X, Y## on ##[0,a]##: they are ≥ 0 and integrate to 1. There is a general theorem that ##E(XY) = EX \cdot EY## if ##X## and ##Y## are independent. You have shown one special case of this. Note: ##EX## is the expectation of ##X##, and is the same as what you call ##\bar{X}##.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted