1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating expression involving permutation symbol and Kronecker delta

1. Sep 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate the following expression:
    [itex]\sum_{j}\sum_{k}\epsilon_{ijk}\delta_{jk}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\delta_{ij}[/itex] = [itex][i = j][/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't have a solution attempt to this one yet, because somehow I completely missed out on what the permutation thing has to do with anything.

This is the second expression given on this homework assigment. The first one was a little easier, which I did work out, and came up with the solution. I'm going to show you guys this first problem so you know I at least know a little of what I'm doing..

Evaluate expression:
    [itex]\sum_{i}\sum_{k}\delta_{ij}\delta_{ji}[/itex]

I used my knowlege of the Kronecker delta to say that:
    [itex]\delta_{ij}\delta_{ji} = \delta_{ii} = \delta_{jj}[/itex]

Then using my knowledge of the trace of an n x n matrix (since I'm only dealing with square matrices), the trace of an n x n matrix is just n. So the final solution to the expression I found to be:
    [itex]\sum_{i}\sum_{k}\delta_{ij}\delta_{ji} = \sum_{i}\delta_{ii} = tr(I_{i}) = i[/itex]

So I do have some of the knowledge I'm expected to have, but I really have no idea how to progress further, with the [itex]\epsilon_{ijk}[/itex] thrown in there. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted