Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating Feynman diagram for coupling between scalar field and dirac particle and anti particle

1. Oct 3, 2014 #1
    If I have a scalar field $$\alpha$$ and a Dirac particle $$\beta$$ and its anti particle $$\overline{\beta}$$ such that the three couple to give a vertex factor of $$-ik$$ when evaluating the Feynman diagram (where k is an arbitrary constant).
    How do I evaluate the first order diagram of $$\alpha \longrightarrow \beta + \overline{\beta}$$

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

With that vertex factor, I assume you have something like ##-k \bar\beta \beta \alpha## in the Lagrangian density. It should be a simple matter of writing down the vertex factor and adding spinors for the outgoing fermions.

4. Oct 3, 2014 #3
    Could you please give me an explicit expression? I'm not sure mine is correct.

5. Oct 3, 2014 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since this is a homework-like question, it will be in more accordance with forum guidelines if you first show your attempt including your reasoning. I (or someone else) can then help you to iron out any misunderstandings or misconceptions.

6. Oct 3, 2014 #5
    Of Course

I believe the amplitude simply evaluates to

$$ k\overline{U}^{(s)}V^{(s)}$$

where U is the spinor of the Beta and V is the spinor of the anti Beta, just from simply accounting for the spinors and the vertex factor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook