Convergence and Limit of Infinite Series with Exponential Terms

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of evaluating the sum \sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\frac{i}{4^i} by hand, and the use of the geometric series to simplify the problem. A general case is provided for finding the sum of a geometric series, and it is suggested to apply this method to the given problem by changing the lower indices and substituting (1/4) for x. The conversation ends with the request for help in finding the limit of the infinite series \sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\frac{e^n}{3^{n-1}}.
willworkforfood
I am having trouble evaluating the sum [tex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\frac{i}{4^i}[/tex] by hand.

My TI-89 is giving me an answer of 4/9 or 0.44 repeating, but I am uncertain how to go about solving this by hand and proving the calculator's result. To my knowledge, no identity or easy quick fix like the Integral test exists. I tried solving for the sum S by messing around with the first 5 or 6 terms, but it was all to no avail. Can anyone here point me in the direction towards evaluating this by hand in terms of a method(not asking anyone to do the problem itself for me)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the geometric series?

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}x^n=\frac{1}{1-x}[/tex]
if |x|<1.

You can make this look like your sum by differentiation.

I will provide a general case, you can figure out the rest:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}x^n=\frac{1}{1-x}[/tex]

Now taking the derivative of both sides gives the following:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}nx^{n-1}=\frac{1}{(1-x)^2}[/tex]

Multiply both sides by x:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}nx^n=\frac{x}{(1-x)^2}[/tex]

You can apply this to your problem by changing the lower indices and changing x to (1/4).

I hope this helps,

Alex

Edit: It looks like someone got to it just before I submitted this :smile:

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help :D

I am trying to find the sum of the infinite series i=1 to infinity, of (e^n)/(3^(n-1)). I know it converges, but I am struggling trying to find the limit. can someone help me.

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a sum of infinitely many terms. It can be written in the form of a1 + a2 + a3 + ..., where a1, a2, a3, and so on are the terms of the series.

2. How do you evaluate an infinite series?

To evaluate an infinite series, you need to determine if the series converges (has a finite sum) or diverges (does not have a finite sum). This can be done using various tests, such as the limit comparison test, ratio test, or integral test.

3. What is the difference between a convergent and divergent series?

A convergent series has a finite sum, meaning that the terms of the series add up to a specific value. On the other hand, a divergent series does not have a finite sum, meaning that the terms of the series add up to infinity or do not have a specific value.

4. Can an infinite series have a partial sum?

Yes, an infinite series can have a partial sum. This is the sum of a finite number of terms in the series. The partial sum can be used to estimate the value of the series, but it is not the same as the actual sum of the infinite series.

5. What are some real-life applications of evaluating infinite series?

Infinite series are commonly used in mathematics, physics, and engineering to model and solve real-life problems. For example, infinite series are used in calculus to approximate functions, in statistics to analyze data, and in electrical engineering to design circuits.