1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating limits

1. May 27, 2006 #1
    I have trouble with this limit evaluation due to the fractions in it.

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \left[3x^5cos\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)\right][/tex]

I assumed that [tex]cos\left(\frac{1}{0}\right) = \infty[/tex] so that limit gives [tex](0 \cdot \infty)[/tex] and is an indeterminate form. As such, I rearrange so that I can use L'Hopital's rule:

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \left[\frac{cos\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)}{\frac{1}{3x^5}}\right][/tex] this becomes [tex]\left(\frac{\infty}{\infty}\right)[/tex] and L'Hopital's rule applies.

[tex]\Rightarrow \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \left[\frac{\frac{sin}{x^2}\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)}{-\frac{5}{3x^4}}\right][/tex]
    Am I correct so far?

Last edited: May 28, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2006 #2

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Nah, it's not correct. In mathematics, you cannot assume things, you can just prove things.
    I'll give you a hint: What's the maximum, and minimum value of cos(x)? Another hint is that it's not infinity. :)
    Can you go from here? :)

4. May 28, 2006 #3
    Maximum and minimum values of cos(x) is 1 and -1.

If [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} cos\left(\frac{1}{x}\right) \neq \infty[/tex] then I cannot say that it is an indeterminate form and I cannot rearrange so that L'Hopital's can be used.

Last edited: May 28, 2006
  5. May 28, 2006 #4

VietDao29

Homework Helper

No, you cannot rearrange that, since [tex]\cos \left( \frac{1}{x} \right)[/tex] is upper bounded by 1, and lower bounded by -1.
    Yes, this is correct.
    Now if x tends to 0, then 3x5 also tends to 0, and [tex]\cos \left( \frac{1}{x} \right)[/tex] oscillates between -1, and 1, right? So what does this limit tend to?
    Hint: And to prove that, you should use Squezze Theorem.
    Can you go from here? :)

6. May 29, 2006 #5
    Oh ok. Here's my answer:

Oh ok. Here's my answer:

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \left[3x^5\cos\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)\right][/tex]
    [tex]-1 \leq \cos \left(\frac{1}{x}\right) \leq 1 (\times 3x^5)[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow -3x^5 \leq 3x^5\cos\left(\frac{1}{x}\right) \leq 3x^5[/tex] since [tex]3x^5 > 0[/tex]
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} (-3x^5) = 0[/tex] and [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} (3x^5) = 0[/tex]
    [tex]\therefore \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \left[3x^5\cos\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)\right] = 0[/tex] (Sandwich theorem)

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  7. May 29, 2006 #6

VietDao29

Homework Helper

It's nearly correct. Congratulations. :)
    However if x < 0, then 3x5 < 0
    So you can split it into 2 cases:
    Case 1: x < 0
    [tex]3x ^ 5 \leq 3x ^ 5 \cos \left( \frac{1}{x} \right) \leq -3x ^ 5[/tex]
    So applying the Sandwich theorem here, we have:
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0 ^ -} 3x ^ 5 = 0[/tex]
    And
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0 ^ -} -3x ^ 5 = 0[/tex]
    So:
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0 ^ -} 3x ^ 5 \cos \left( \frac{1}{x} \right) = 0[/tex]
    Case 2: x > 0 (It's x > 0, not x >= 0, since the function is not defined at x = 0)
    You can do almost exactly the same as case 1 (be careful, since there's a slight change in the inequality sign), and get the result:
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0 ^ +} 3x ^ 5 \cos \left( \frac{1}{x} \right) = 0[/tex]
    So, from the 2 cases above, we have:
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} 3x ^ 5 \cos \left( \frac{1}{x} \right) = 0[/tex]
    :)

Last edited: May 29, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?