1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating Line Integrals

1. Feb 8, 2007 #1
    Could someone help me with the following? I am asked to evaluate the line integral of ∫(y + sin x)dx + (z^2+cosy)dy +x^3dz where C is the curve r(t) = <sint, cost, sin2t, 0 ≤t≤2π.

Doesn’t this equal to ∫F∙dr where F = <y + sinx, z^2cosy,x^3> and r = <x,y,z>? So wouldn’t ∫F∙dr = ∫∫curlF∙nds where n is the normal vector to the surface z = 2xy (from the parametric equation, z = 2xy).

I got that curl F is -2zi-3x^2j +k, and that n is 2xi + 2yj –k. So if you take the dot product, you would get -4zx – 6x^2y -1, and if you were to want to substitute for z you would get -8x^2y – 6x^2y -1 or -14x^2y -1.

But I’m not sure what the boundaries of integration is other than that x seems to be between 0 and 1, and y seems to be between 0 and 1 as well? So would the double integral be ∫∫-14x^2y-1dxdy where 0≤y≤1 and 0≤x≤1? Many thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2007 #2
    Or actually, on further thought, could you represent integral as ∫∫(-14(cosθ)^2(sinθ)-1)rdrdθ where r is between 0 and 1 and θ is between 0 and 2pi?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?