Evaluating Matrix A: Step-by-Step Guide for Homework

• Thread starter lakitu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, evaluating a matrix means determining the value of a matrix function for given values of its variables. It can also refer to computing the determinant of a square matrix. The magnitude of a vector or matrix can also be evaluated by calculating its numerical value.
lakitu
hi there how would you go about evaluating a matrices? for example. evaluate A

A=

(-3)
(11)
(6)

i need to know this for my homework? it sounds simple but my book does not cover this. Any help would be great.

Kind Regards

Lakitu

Physics news on Phys.org
`Evaluate' in what way?

And is...

[tex]A=\left(\begin{array}{c} -3 & 11 & 6 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

You don't "evaluate" a matrix, just as you don't evaluate a number! You can, of course, evaluate a matrix function just as you can evaluate a numerical function.

If
[tex]f(x)= \left(\begin{array}{c} -3x \ x^2 & 4x^3 \ 6x \end{array}\right)[/tex]
Then it would make sense to evaluate that matrix (function) at, say, x= 2.

i see, what about Evaluate | u | does that make sense?

For a given value of u, yes. It makes sense to "evaluate" any formula in one or more variables for given values of those variables. "Evaluate" means to determine the value of a formula when replacing the variables by numbers.

lakitu said:

Is your "u" a square matrix? If so, then "Evaluate |u|" might mean "Compute the determinant of the square matrix u". In the context of HallsofIvy's post, the "formula" is the rule to compute the determinant of a square matrix and the "variable" is the square matrix u.

lakitu said:
Yeah - that makes sense.

For [tex]u=(-3, 11, 6)[/tex]

The magnitude [tex]|u|=\sqrt{(-3)^2+11^2+6^2}[/tex]

What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols arranged in rows and columns. It is used in mathematics and science to represent data and to perform various calculations.

What is the purpose of evaluating a matrix?

Evaluating a matrix involves performing various mathematical operations on it, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and finding determinants and inverses. It allows us to solve systems of equations, calculate areas and volumes, and perform other mathematical tasks.

What are the steps for evaluating a matrix?

The steps for evaluating a matrix include identifying the type of matrix (square, rectangular, etc.), performing any necessary row or column operations to simplify the matrix, and applying the appropriate mathematical operations (such as multiplication or finding determinants) to the matrix.

Why is evaluating a matrix important?

Evaluating a matrix is important because it allows us to solve complex mathematical problems and analyze data. It is also used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science to model and solve real-world problems.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when evaluating a matrix?

Some common mistakes to avoid when evaluating a matrix include mixing up rows and columns, forgetting to perform necessary row or column operations, and making calculation errors. It is also important to double-check answers and make sure they make sense in the context of the problem.