1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating matrices

1. Apr 27, 2006 #1
    hi there how would you go about evaluating a matrices? for example. evaluate A

i need to know this for my homework? it sounds simple but my book does not cover this. Any help would be great.

Kind Regards

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2006 #2

`Evaluate' in what way?

And is...

[tex]A=\left(\begin{array}{c} -3 & 11 & 6 \end{array}\right)[/tex]
  4. Apr 27, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You don't "evaluate" a matrix, just as you don't evaluate a number! You can, of course, evaluate a matrix function just as you can evaluate a numerical function.

[tex]f(x)= \left(\begin{array}{c} -3x \ x^2 & 4x^3 \ 6x \end{array}\right)[/tex]
    Then it would make sense to evaluate that matrix (function) at, say, x= 2.
  5. Apr 27, 2006 #4
    i see, what about Evaluate | u | does that make sense?
  6. Apr 27, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For a given value of u, yes. It makes sense to "evaluate" any formula in one or more variables for given values of those variables. "Evaluate" means to determine the value of a formula when replacing the variables by numbers.
  7. Apr 27, 2006 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is your "u" a square matrix? If so, then "Evaluate |u|" might mean "Compute the determinant of the square matrix u". In the context of HallsofIvy's post, the "formula" is the rule to compute the determinant of a square matrix and the "variable" is the square matrix u.
  8. Apr 28, 2006 #7

Yeah - that makes sense.

For [tex]u=(-3, 11, 6)[/tex]

The magnitude [tex]|u|=\sqrt{(-3)^2+11^2+6^2}[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?