Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating stiffness with varying MOE through cross section

1. Oct 17, 2011 #1
    I am replacing an exisitng solid rod with a new rod with a rod made from a different material and a different cross section. The new material has a MOE that varies with skin depth which is making it hard for me to develop an expression for stiffness (EI).

The new rod has a hollow rectangular cross section with base and height b and h and wall thickness t. The MOE is given by E = M - dN where M (Max MOE) and N (MOE slope) are constants and d is skin depth. M and N are specific to bamboo species. (Think bamboo bike frame) The rectangular rod is composed of four strips. The MOE at the outermost fibers is always M (shown in red below). The figure below illustrates the rod.

6255423903_8155d37e68_b.jpg

If E were constant the stiffness would be given by EI = E * 1/12 * ( (bh3) - ( (b-2t)(h-2t)3 ) )

I have successfully simulated the stiffness as a discrete summation of thin walled rectangles using MatLab. However, this is part of a larger simulation and the discrete summation is really slowing down the overall simulation.

Can someone please point me in the right direction to develop a closed form expression for EI for the rod described above? I've spent some time trying to integrate the MOE expression with the second moment of inertia expression but I think I'm not correctly accounting for the MOE.

If the problem is not clear please let me know and I'll draw up some better graphics.

Thank you !!

-Tim

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted