1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating the bounded volume

1. May 13, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using a suitable Jacobian, evaluate the volume bounded by the surface ##z = 2 +x^2##, the cylinder ##x^2 + y^2 = a^2## (where ##a## is a constant), and the ##x-y## plane.

2. Relevant equations

##x = r cos{\theta} ##
    ##y = r sin{\theta} ##
    3. The attempt at a solution

I determined the Jacobian to be ##r##.
    The limits for ##\theta## would be from ##0## to ##2 \pi##.
    The limits for ##r## would be from ##0## to ##a##.

Could anyone kindly guide me through the problem?

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, you went to the trouble to calculate a Jacobian for this problem, now what do you do with it?

There must be some formula where the Jacobian appears.

4. May 13, 2015 #3
    Hi there SteamKing. I will use the Jacobian when I evaluate the integral.

## \int_{r_1}^{r_2} \int_{\theta_1}^{\theta_2} \int_{z_1}^{z_2} r \ dz d{\theta} dr ##
    something like that.

5. May 13, 2015 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Have you at least sketched the region? It is bounded below by the xy-plane, z= 0, above by [itex]z= 2+ x^2[/itex], and on the side by the cylinder [itex]x^2+ y^2= a^2[/itex]. From any point in the xy-plane, inside that cylinder, the height is [itex]2+ x^2- 0= 2+ x^2[/itex]. Convert that to cylindrical coordinates.

6. May 13, 2015 #5

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Using HallsofIvy's post, you need to use cylindrical co-ordinates to compute the integral and obtain the answer.

More formally, what you are doing is an integral transform by changing variables. You should have a change of variables theorem lying around telling you:

$$\iiint_D f(x, y, z) \space dV = \iiint_{D^\prime} f(r \text{cos}(\theta), r \text{sin}(\theta), z) \space J_{r, \theta}(x,y) \space dV' = \iiint_{D^\prime} f(r \text{cos}(\theta), r \text{sin}(\theta), z) \space J_{r, \theta}(x,y) \space dz d\theta dr$$

Where ##J_{r, \theta}(x,y)## is the Jacobian of the invertible transformation and ##dV' = dz d\theta dr## for cylindrical co-ordinates. For this particular problem:

$$J_{r, \theta}(x,y) = \left| \begin{array}{cc}
    x_r & x_{\theta} \\
    y_r & y_{\theta} \\
    \end{array} \right| \quad \quad

x = r \text{cos}(\theta), y = r \text{sin}(\theta)$$

You have already found ##J_{r, \theta}(x,y) = r##. You have also found the limits for ##r## and ##\theta## already. What about the limits for ##z##? What does ##z = 2 + x^2## look like? It looks like it's bounded below by something.

7. May 15, 2015 #6
    Oh thank you guys for your replies. Zondrina, the problem I am having is determining the limits for Z.

8. May 15, 2015 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[itex]x^2+ y^2= a^2[/itex] does not involve z so is the cylinder forming the sides. The "top" and "bottom" must be given by [itex]z= 2+ x^2[/itex] and the "xy- plane" which is z= 0,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted