1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating these integrals

1. Oct 2, 2005 #1
    Hi,
    I'm having a bit of trouble evaluating this integral: (This is not a homework problem btw)
    Integral between Pi and 0 (x sin x)/(1 + cos^2 x) d x
    I don't even know where to begin with the substitutions or anything...... I was thinking the denominator could be sin^2 x..... only when I realized this is trig and not hyperbolic. :(

Also, something in my book:
    Integral (2t^2 + 3t*t^3) d(t^2)
    This was after the substitution of dy to d(t^2) when dealing with a line integral; I don't understand... how do you integrate this?

Thanks for any ideas.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think you're going to find a closed form for your integral. If it's any help, the numerical value of your integral is approximately -2.4674011...

For the second integral, replace [itex]d (t^2)[/itex] with [itex]2 t dt[/itex].

4. Oct 2, 2005 #3
    Hi,
    Thanks for the reply,
    My book shows something weird with the integral...
    Here's the work.... (Assuming everything I have below has the limits pi and 0)
    Let x = pi y, then:
    integral (xsin x)/(1 + cos^2 x) dx = ---> integ (pi-y)(sin y)/(1 + cos^2 y) dy = pi * integ (sin y)/(1 + cos^2 y) dy - integ (y sin y)/(1 + cos^2 y) dy = -pi * integ d(cos y)/(1 + cos^2 y) - I = -pi*arctan(cos y) - I = Pi^2 /2 - I
    And as it says:
    i.e. I = Pi^2 / 2 - I or I = Pi^2 / 4
    I got lost at the point where I showed the arrow (And I'm confused about why they chose that particular substitution)...
    Also, what's up with this - I thing? Can somebody explain it?
    Thanks loads for any replies.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2005
  5. Oct 2, 2005 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oh, I like that! Basically, it's a simple transformation of the integral with the result that the original integral = some other integral - the original integral and, luckily "some other integral" can be evaluated!

6. Oct 3, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

U can part integrate

[tex] \int_{\pi}^{0} x \frac{-d(\cos x)}{1+\cos^{2}x} =...[/tex]

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?