1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating this integral

1. Feb 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I want to find the integral from 0 to 2pi of

sin^3 t + t + cos^2 t

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I could convert sin^3 t to sin t (sin^2 t) and then use the identity 1 - cos 2t/2 and same for cos^2 t but I was wondering if there is a less messy way to evaluate this.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since your limits are 0 to 2pi if you clever you should be able to come up with an argument about the value of the sin(t)^3 part without integrating it. But you could also use another even simpler identity for sin(t)^2.

4. Feb 28, 2012 #3
    Ah, I see that it is 0 for sin^3 t, does this hold for any period of 2pi for sin^3? Also what is the other identity that I could use? I thought it would just be the half angle identity.

5. Feb 28, 2012 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Integrating the t term is trivial.

The cos^2 term can be handled with the double angle formula for cosine.

The sin^3 term can be immediately reduced to zero by sketching the curve for y = sin^3x and observing that it's an odd periodic function. It applies for any *even* multiple of pi at both upper and lower bounds.

6. Feb 28, 2012 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

sin(t)^2=1-cos(t)^2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook