1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating undefined limits

1. Sep 1, 2012 #1
    1. Evaluate

2. lim χ→0 [((χ+1)^1/3) -1] / χ

3. The hint is [a^2 + b^2 = (a+b)(a^2 + ab + b^2)].
    But i don't get it how can that help me solve this because it is a cube root and not to the power of 3.

Without thinking about the hint, I have attempted it and i think it is undefined for the function.
    Say f(x) is the function, so f(0) is undefined making the limit as x approaches 0 undefined as well.
    is it correct??

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The hint is incorrect: a^2 + b^2 has 'a' and 'b' to the second power, while the right-hand-side has them to the third power. A correct hint would be a^3 - b^3 = (a-b)(a^2 + ab + b^2).

Think of setting y = (x+1)^(1/3), so the numerator of your expression is y-1. Can you see how to relate y-1 to y^3 - 1? Can you see how to write the denominator (x) in terms of y? Can you see what happens to y when x --> 0?

RGV

4. Sep 1, 2012 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That's one possibility and it works fine.
    But I prefer to multiply numerator and denominator with [itex]a^2+ab+b^2[/itex] for suitable a and b. What do you get if you use the (correct version of the) hint?

5. Sep 10, 2012 #4
    sorry I was wrong, the hint is: a^3 - b^3 = (a-b)(a^2 + ab + b^2)

Ok, I did L'hopitals rule to derive the formula, until I am able to get a value from substituting zero in place of x. My answer came to 1/3. But still the hint had nothing to do with it.

Are you saying for me to do the opposite operation??

6. Sep 10, 2012 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here is how the hint might be used:

The numerator [itex]\sqrt[3]{x+1}-1[/itex]. If you could get an equivalent expression with a numerator of [itex]\displaystyle \left(\sqrt[3]{x+1}\right)^3-1^3\,,[/itex] that would allow major simplification including cancelling a factor that goes to zero in the numerator & denominator.

Use the hint to find out what you need to multiply [itex]\sqrt[3]{x+1}-1[/itex] by in order to get [itex]\displaystyle \left(\sqrt[3]{x+1}\right)^3-1^3\ .[/itex]

By the way, welcome to PF!

7. Sep 13, 2012 #6
    so then I would have to multiply it with ([itex]\sqrt[3]{x+1}[/itex])^2 + [itex]\sqrt[3]{x+1}[/itex] +1
    and then do the same with the numerator??
    is it??

and afterwards derive it???

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  8. Sep 13, 2012 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, you should not need to use L'Hôpital's rule.

Just multiply the numerator & denominator by [itex]\displaystyle \left(\sqrt[3]{x+1\ }\right)^2+\sqrt[3]{x+1\ }+1\ .[/itex] Then simplify.

9. Sep 13, 2012 #8
    oh YES

solved!

other than simplifying we can just substitute 0, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook